Monday, June 21, 2010

First Day of Summer....Christmas Gift Ideas


This is my grandson enjoying Grandma's bench on a recent hot day.

I hope you are having a great first day of summer! Shucks, its felt like summer here for about 6 weeks! This week is forecast to be a scorcher from beginning to end.

So now that the year is almost half over, what do you think that means? It means it will soon be Fall again! It also means that if I am going to hand make any Christmas gifts, I'd better get to it! I am committed to having some gifts made before the last minute this year!

With that being said, I also like to work inside on sewing or other crafts when it gets as hot as it is here this week (upper 90s and above).

Here are some ideas that I have for Christmas gifts.

1. A pillow case made in fabric that the recipient would like along with a new pillow. HERE is one I recently made for my son in camo fabric.

2. Another play mat for my grandson in a different theme, such as jungle, farm or cars and trucks. HERE is the Thomas the Train play mat I made for him last week.

3. A small throw size quilt, perhaps a quillow (magic pillow). If you don't know what these are, they are quilts with a pocket sewn on one end. You then fold the quilt in such a way that it fits inside the pocket. They are great to put on your couch or for a child to take to a sleepover or for nap time away from home. It can be used as a pillow or a quilt.

4. Tote bags. Both for adults or special ones for kids. My grandson would love one in fabric featuring one of his favorite characters.

5. A crayon Roll for my grandson.

6. I made new Christmas Stockings for all my family members last year, but there are other people on my list that I could make one for and then use the stocking to hold their gift, such as a food item. HERE is a tutorial for the stockings I made last year. Feel free to use the tutorial to start making them for your family.

7. Fabric bags made especially for holding food gift items. After Christmas the recipient could use it as a reusable fabric grocery bag. I have some kitchen themed fabric that would be cute for this. HERE is a tutorial I posted for these as well.

8. Rice filled neck pillows. These could be microwaved and then would soothe the neck, shoulders, back or knees. I love THIS ONE.

Those are all the ideas I have for now. As I think of more ideas and make some of these gifts I'll update you.

I'm really getting into the Christmas gift making spirit! If you have any ideas let me know. Is there something you wish someone would hand make for you?

9 comments:

Denise said...

I agree, Fall will be here before we know it then Christmas and all my grand ideas of giving homemade gifts goes out the window because I didn't plan ahead. Even getting some gifts bought ahead would make the holiday a little more enjoyable, maybe this will be the year I have all my gifts bought before December 1? When do you usually have all of your gifts done/bought?

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
Sounds like you have lots of good ideas! Most don't seem that hard, sometimes its just having a plan to get you started. I've been working on gifts most of the summer, I feel like I'm ahead of the game, of course there is always the last minute rush. LOL
Where did you find the Thomas fabric? I can't find any in my area. Did they have any with just trains? Email me with the info. Thanks!
Coleen
accrisanti at yahoo dot com

L said...

You are right, it's not too early to start planning, even just a little bit. Much better than to go crazy at the last minute. I don't blame you and I hope to do the same this year.

Hope you get to make lots of things for holiday gifts for your loved ones. Whatever you make, I am sure they will love!

DarcyLee said...

You're right, I need to start on some Christmas gifts now, especially with two new grandbabies making their appearances this October and December! I made your tote bags for just about everyone on my Christmas list last year and they were a hit. I've also made a rice hot/cold bag before, but I like the one you linked to much better and would made the perfect gift for my dad this year.

Anonymous said...

All of those sound like great Christmas gift ideas!

Some other ideas I have thought about (but never seem to get around to doing), are aprons & potholders.

Melinda

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
I have started planning my gifts too. I look forward to getting moved so I can start sewing.You have some great ideals.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Sportsgirl said...

I'm keeping pretty glass bottles and I'm planning to paint them for people to use as vases.

Thanks for the bag tutorial! I want to make some of those

Terra said...

Hi, I see you plan ahead for Christmas too. I wrote a book on celebrating Christmas and have a blog of Christmas tips at http://scrapbookofchristmasfirsts.blogspot.com
My main blog is about gardening, cats, etc.

Maddy Joy said...

As you are probably all too aware, the festive season is just around the corner, now is probably the right time for thinking about gift ideas for Christmas. ...............
Holiday Gifts

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...