Monday, June 21, 2010
First Day of Summer....Christmas Gift Ideas
This is my grandson enjoying Grandma's bench on a recent hot day.
I hope you are having a great first day of summer! Shucks, its felt like summer here for about 6 weeks! This week is forecast to be a scorcher from beginning to end.
So now that the year is almost half over, what do you think that means? It means it will soon be Fall again! It also means that if I am going to hand make any Christmas gifts, I'd better get to it! I am committed to having some gifts made before the last minute this year!
With that being said, I also like to work inside on sewing or other crafts when it gets as hot as it is here this week (upper 90s and above).
Here are some ideas that I have for Christmas gifts.
1. A pillow case made in fabric that the recipient would like along with a new pillow. HERE is one I recently made for my son in camo fabric.
2. Another play mat for my grandson in a different theme, such as jungle, farm or cars and trucks. HERE is the Thomas the Train play mat I made for him last week.
3. A small throw size quilt, perhaps a quillow (magic pillow). If you don't know what these are, they are quilts with a pocket sewn on one end. You then fold the quilt in such a way that it fits inside the pocket. They are great to put on your couch or for a child to take to a sleepover or for nap time away from home. It can be used as a pillow or a quilt.
4. Tote bags. Both for adults or special ones for kids. My grandson would love one in fabric featuring one of his favorite characters.
5. A crayon Roll for my grandson.
6. I made new Christmas Stockings for all my family members last year, but there are other people on my list that I could make one for and then use the stocking to hold their gift, such as a food item. HERE is a tutorial for the stockings I made last year. Feel free to use the tutorial to start making them for your family.
7. Fabric bags made especially for holding food gift items. After Christmas the recipient could use it as a reusable fabric grocery bag. I have some kitchen themed fabric that would be cute for this. HERE is a tutorial I posted for these as well.
8. Rice filled neck pillows. These could be microwaved and then would soothe the neck, shoulders, back or knees. I love THIS ONE.
Those are all the ideas I have for now. As I think of more ideas and make some of these gifts I'll update you.
I'm really getting into the Christmas gift making spirit! If you have any ideas let me know. Is there something you wish someone would hand make for you?
Good Morning! I worked in the sewing room on Saturday and completed two more of the small monogrammed tote bags that I am working on for C...
Note: If you want to buy clothespin bags, please visit MY ETSY SHOP (CLICK HERE) But, feel free to make your own from this tutorial! T...
We are getting lots of tomatoes from our little kitchen garden and I am trying to make use of each and every one of them. We've been eat...