Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Set The Captives Free --- Second in the Series "Just Be"
You can see the first post in this series HERE.
When I ponder the phrase "to just be", my first thoughts are that it means to just stop moving, to be still and do nothing. It reminds me of the Bible verse that says "Be still and know that I am God", Psalm 46:10
I can think of all kinds of ways to keep my body still.... sleeping comes to mind..., but can you keep your mind still?!!!
A hymn I was singing in Church this past Sunday contained the verse, "setting the captives free" and I began to think of all the things I've kept captive in my mind.
It seems to me that if we are going to "just be", our minds need to be focused on good, peaceful, pleasant things.
So I came up with this list of "captives" that we can try to set free. I say try because some of them are very hard to release. But, all we can do is keep trying and let them go at least temporarily while we are trying to "just be".
1. I know this applies to every single human being. FORGIVE! But, its so hard to do. Think of the people in your life that have hurt you the most and pronounce that you have set the captives free! They might not even know you are holding them prisoners.
2. Those people and things that irritate you every day. The things that happen aren't even that important, but we let them stress us out. Set the captives free.
3. Its so easy to take offense at the smallest things. We don't have to let ourselves get angry so easily. Don't take things personally. Set the captives free!
4. Worrying never changes anything. If you are trying to "just be", set the captives free!
5. Are your expectations for yourself and others set too high? You are only human and can only do so much. Set the captives free!
6. Any mistakes made in the past bothering you? Move forward, fix what you can, and set the rest free!
7. Be aware of your thoughts. If Negative thoughts creep in, set the captives free!
*** I love comments!!! ****
I finished a quilt! It was too cold outside today to go out there dragging a quilt around, so I just took a bunch of pictures inside. I do...
Note: If you want to buy clothespin bags, please visit MY ETSY SHOP (CLICK HERE) But, feel free to make your own from this tutorial! T...
My pallet flag is hanging out waiting for summer! I actually love winter, except for the short daylight hours. One thing I love makin...