Thursday, March 6, 2008

Pocketbook Tutorial, Part Three

All of the previous posts in this series are shown on the left sidebar under "pocketbook tutorial".

This picture shows me sewing around the edge of the quilt sandwich using a 1/4 inch seam. You might have to stretch the fabric a little and remove some of the pins as you go. I also increase the stitch length some.



When you get the edges all sewn, remove all the pins and trim the excess backing and quilt batting even with the panel top like this. You can save the quilt batting strips if you wish for use later in the handles.



Iron the panels with short up and down pressing movements.

You can leave the panels like this or you can dress them up a little bit. Sometimes I top stitch 1/4 inch on each side of the seam. This time I'm adding some grosgrain ribbon. Cut the ribbon a little longer than the width of the panel. Pin it on centering it on the seam line all the way across. Then edge stitch the ribbon on both edges like this.







Trim off any extra ribbon on the edges of the panel.

Now its time to cut out the lining. Just lay the finished outside panel on top of your lining fabric and use it for the pattern. Cut two lining pieces the same size as the two outside panel pieces.

The inside pockets need to be sewn on the lining before any more sewing is done. I cut one piece of the green fabric on the fold, 16 inches wide by 7 inches deep. This gives you a double piece of fabric with the fold at the top on the 16 inch wide edge. I also cut a single layer of fabric from the tractor fabric which is 13 inches wide by 8 inches deep.

Its also a good time to cut out the handles. Cut two handles 4 inches wide by the width of the fabric on the fold.

These are pictures of the pockets, lining, handles and outside panels.






In the next post we'll sew the pockets on the lining, make the handles and start making this bag come together!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I haven't commented yet, but I wanted to let you know that I'm thrilled you're doing this tutorial, and I plan to sit down sometime soon and try this out. Thanks for the work you're putting into this!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...