Friday, March 21, 2008

Grocery Bag Handle Update



This is another handle that is nice on the grocery bags. I got this idea from the book, "Bend The Rules Sewing". The underside of the handles match the lining. The above picture shows what both sides of the handles look like.

I think this style of handle looks really nice and is a little easier to me than the other handles. But I plan to use both kinds of handles on my bags.

This is how I make the lined handles:

For each handle I cut two strips 2 1/2 inches wide and about 14 inches long from the outer fabric and the lining fabric. Turn up each edge on the long side of the outer fabric about 1/4 inch. Then turn under the lining fabric edges a little more, about 1/2 inch. Cut a strip of quilt batting and place it inside the strip made from the outer fabric. Then lay the lining strip with wrong sides together on top of the quilt batting strip and edge stitch along the edge of the lining fabric strip on one side. I have to sew really slow and keep making sure the strip is straight on the side I'm sewing. Then press and sew the other side.



Then pin the handles on the outer bag right sides together like this. Finish the bag the same as the instructions in the Grocery Bag Tutorial in my previous post.




I love the way these handles look!

1 comment:

Mom2fur said...

I like the idea of the backs of the handles matching the lining!
Thanks for visiting my blog. I wish I could sew for my son, but everything he wears is black. Boring, boring, boring.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...