Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Favorite No Lettuce Salad

In the past I have always put lettuce in my salads, just like most people. But, I never really liked it so much. I finally decided to just make my salads with healthy foods that I really like and skip the lettuce.

In an effort to lose a few pounds, I've been eating a salad just like this one for supper several nights a week lately.





Here's what my "no lettuce" salad might contain. Each one I make might have a different combination and also depends on what produce is on sale at my grocery store each week.

On one side of the bowl are fruits that might include:(its a pretty big bowl!):

About 1/3 of an apple cut into bite size pieces
About 1/3 of a can of "no sugar added" fruit such as pears, peaches or pineapple
About 1/3 of a sliced banana
Just a sprinkle of raisins
Just a sprinkle of grated cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
A couple of dollops of low fat cottage cheese

On the other side of the bowl some veggies that might include:

Some grape tomatoes sliced in half
A little sliced cucumber
Some green bell pepper cut into small pieces
Broccoli
Baby Dill Pickles
Just a drizzle or 2 of Light Ranch Dressing.

In the middle or on the side:

Some kind of meat. The one in the picture had a couple spoonfuls of homemade chicken salad made with light mayo. Other times it has been browned boneless chicken breast, browned bite size pieces of boneless pork chop or steak or a small hamburger without a bun.

NO LETTUCE! And I don't like carrots either!

I think this is a very delicious, low calorie, healthy meal.

6 comments:

Meggie said...

It looks and sounds very yummy to me. I could easily eat this several times a week. Good post.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Debbie,
Sounds yummy. Dave can't eat lettuce so I have been making him pasta salads.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Susannah said...

Hi Debbie.....these salads look yummy. Lots os times I do not have lettuce in the house but do have the other things. If I do have lettuce it doesn't stay fresh for very long. Thank you for the ideas.

Susannah

Auntie M said...

Looks and sounds delicious - and healthy.

Lyn said...

I like your idea. :) Lettuce is something I somewhat like, but don't love. Think I will give this a try!

Pen Pen said...

Looks delicious! Isn't it funny that we think we 'need' the lettuce? LOL

Speed Cleaning in the Living Room This Week!

Happy Monday and first week of Autumn, 2017! This week I am doing some speed cleaning in the living room!  Speed cleaning for me this week...