I've been making some progress on getting things done in the sewing room this week. My mother needed 4 pairs of her soft, warm, pants hemmed. These are perfect for a housebound elderly person to wear in the winter. Not only are they warm and comfortable, they are easy to change and wash easily. The only problem is that even the petite sizes are too long for my mother. She isn't that short, but manufacturers are making them extra long these days, I guess.
I had been procrastinating on getting the pants hemmed since they all needed to be cut off and hemmed and for some reason I couldn't make myself get started on them. Saturday night I couldn't sleep, so I got up and thought I'd hem just one pair of the pants.
Big Brother not only has a snap on quilting table, you can remove a section of the machine to make it have a free arm
This allowed me to put the pants leg on the free arm which made hemming much easier.
Then I decided to try a different stitch. The machine has 60 stitches, some of which are called utility stitches. One of the utility stitches is an overcasting stitch. Using it encases the edge of a seam, sort of like a serger. I wondered how it would look for hemming stretchy,knit pants.
It turned out great! When I compare the hem of the pants before and after I hemmed them, my hem looked just as good as the manufacturer's.
It was so easy and fun that I ended up hemming all the pants before going back to bed Saturday night.
Then when I did go back to bed I still couldn't sleep because I was so excited about getting the pants hemmed and nobody was awake to tell it to!