Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Diet Coke that Keeps on Giving



After enjoying the cool refreshment of a Diet Coke, bought on sale for 99 cents, I removed the label and cut the bottom off.

The bottom makes a perfect drainage dish for plants. I'm using this one for a small pot where an African Violet leaf is rooting.

The top part turns into a mini terrarium for rooting plants. In this one I am trying to root a clematis. This also works well for rose cuttings. Leave the cap off for air circulation. In early spring or late fall when there is a threat of frost you can use this with the cap to cover outside plants.

This is just one small way to reduce, recycle and reuse.

I am always on the lookout for items to reuse in the garden or with my houseplants. I often save small round or square plastic bowls from frozen dinners or take out salads from fast food restaurants to reuse as drainage dishes. It keeps a few items out of the landfill and why pay good money at the store for the same thing you or someone else is throwing in the garbage?

This black plastic dish once held a "Smart Ones Lasagna".

6 comments:

Joan said...

I love the idea of posting a to do list. My daughter and I made a totally private blog for jusr the two of us. Each morning we post our goals and each evening we report back. We also encourage each other along the way and add alot of fun and humor to our blog. It has been amazingly effective. the acountability thing is magic. I enjoy your blog and will be back soon.

ancient one said...

Great tips...

Heather said...

neat ideas on re-using some of our plastic items!

TX Doodler said...

Wow, you really have a green thumb. Your starters look great! What a smart way to reuse with a purpose! I like this idea a lot.

Kathi said...

You have some wonderful tips. Thank you. Kathi

Susan said...

Can you tell us how you root a leaf from a violet? I have 2 violets that I'd love to propagate from, but have no idea how!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...