Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Summer Weekend

Happy Fourth of July Weekend! I know its almost over, but I hope yours was happy and that the remainder of it will be peaceful and restful.

I'm not really a summer person and I don't know why. The only thing I can think of is that when I was growing up summers were for working in a tobacco field or worse... picking cucumbers. I vowed to never work in a tobacco field again once I turned 18 and so far the closest I've gotten was driving by many, many acres of it every day!

Nonetheless, summers have their good things: This watermelon was delicious.




Fresh veggies:

We had fresh corn on the cob, fresh sliced tomatoes and fresh field peas this weekend. I'm not sure if you know what I mean by field peas if you're not from this part of North Carolina. They're not black eye peas, and they're not english peas (garden peas). My mother grows a lot of them every year and my brother picked a bushel for me Friday. He even took them to a place that shells them for me. All I had to do was wash them well, Blanch them and put them in the freezer to be eaten this winter. I ended up with 6 bags for the freezer and enough for a meal to eat fresh. I don't like my bags of frozen veggies to be too big, so I filled quart size freezer bags about 2/3 full. This size prevents us from having too many leftovers and/or waste. Also its a good size to put in vegetable soup. If we get some rain there'll be lots more peas to freeze.

This is what my frozen peas look like:



I also was given several containers of locally grown blueberries and made a blueberry cobbler for my family earlier in the week and made one for my mother while at her house this morning. This picture is one I made last summer, but its identical to the ones I made this year. Delicious!





I was at home this afternoon and made this clothespin bag for my Etsy Shop:





The corn planted behind my house has really grown! We need rain pretty bad, but it sure has gotten tall anyway. This is the view from my back yard. Normally I can see my neighbor's pond. This corn makes a natural privacy screen.

1 comment:

Little Penpen said...

Summer time definitely brings its own rewards, huh? I used to work in tobacco and cucumber fields too. Sometimes when I hate my current job, I think back to those days, and start to like my job again. However, we did all seem to "get along" in the barnyard... not like where I work now. :o) I love the Mary Engelbreit fabric for the clothespin bag!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...