Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A slice of my life

What's going on in your day to day life?

Here's what's going on in mine.

1. I finally sold an item on EBay! The final selling price was $3.75 plus shipping. A small success is better than none at all! I made money on the item, since it was purchased at a clearance sale for 50 cents.

A couple of comments on my Frugal Friday post of 1-4-08 suggested listing my items so that the sale ended on a Sunday or Monday Night. So last night I listed 3 more items for 5 days which would make the sale end Sunday night. Again I started the bids out low and this morning I already had one beginning bid on an item I had previously listed in November with no bids. I feel that between now and Sunday night there will be more bids. Hope so anyway! This item was purchased at a book sale for $1.00. The other 2 items are exercise DVDs. January is the time to sell those I would think!

I sold another book on Amazon.com. Patience is the key in this.

I decided to transfer all Amazon money into a savings account that is linked to my checking account. All money made on EBay is going to remain in my PayPal account for the time being. This will keep my on line sales money separate to be used for a specific purpose, yet to be determined. The amounts are small, but I think will add up quickly.

2. I lost weight without really trying! I've been avoiding getting on the scales for a few months because obviously I had gained some weight. I had to buy some pants in a bigger size in order to have something to wear to work during the last year.

During December I had a bad cold, cough, etc. and wasn't all that hungry and on January 1st I weighed myself. I weighed about 5 pounds less than the last time I weighed, many months ago. This motivated me to go to the library to get some weight loss books. I checked out the FIBER 35 DIET. (see the Amazon thingie on the sidebar) This diet stresses eating 35 grams of fiber a day as well as cutting back some on calories and exercising.

So I made an effort to incorporate more fiber into my diet. Now mind you I didn't eat that much fiber before. Now I am eating oatmeal, apples, beans, whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta, etc. I don't think I am hitting the 35 gram mark, but am eating much, much more. This has also helped my digestive health tremendously and after some intestinal surgery 2 1/2 years ago, believe me this is good!

Yesterday I wore a pair of the bigger size pants and they were baggy, so I got on the scale this morning and I had lost another 5 pounds! I am amazed. I have walked on the treadmill a little. 10 or 15 minutes a day maybe 3 days a week, but not really enough to make that much difference. I also walked on my lunch break yesterday for about 25 minutes since a 65 degree day in January doesn't come along every day usually!

I like Total raisin bran cereal and some times will eat it for supper. One night last week we had pizza and I ate one slice of pizza and 2 small bowls of the raisin bran cereal. This way I didn't feel deprived. I am making myself eat a small breakfast even though I am not really hungry until about 10:00 A.M. I have some milk in the fridge at the office and some instant oatmeal packages. I can make myself a pack of oatmeal when I first get to work to eat while getting started on the work day. I also love yellow apples. I have been eating one about 11:00 A.M. and this takes the edge of my hunger at lunch. Then lots of times I will get chili from Wendy's which has beans in it. A large chili is $1.99 and is very filling. One afternoon snack I have is a small bowl of dry honey nut cheerios. Last night we had spaghetti and salad for supper. I made myself some whole wheat blend spaghetti and have some left over for today.

I'd like to lose 5 more pounds and if they come off as easily as the first 10, wow!

The Fiber 35 diet is also on line and has lots of information at no cost.

3. I ran into one of my best friends from high school at the post office yesterday and wished her a happy birthday this weekend. I happen to know how old she will be since I will be the same age in February! If I tell you we were the graduating class in the bicentennial year you can figure out our ages..... LOL.

I would like to go to the supply closet at work just one more time in my life and actually know what I went there for. I did that twice yesterday. I needed a certain supply and when I got there, I didn't know what I went for. I stood there for a few minutes trying to remember. I refuse to go back to my desk to figure it out! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

4. This struck me funny yesterday: We have a new Mexican restaurant in the small town where I work. Its located within walking distance of KFC. I was at the bank located between the two. You guessed it, the workers walked over to the KFC and bought a BUCKET of chicken and other stuff and carried it back to the restaurant. Now, are they going to resell it, or do you think they are tired of Mexican food! Too Funny!

5. I need to do a series on post office sightings because every time I go to the post office I see such interesting things. People are just interesting. Last week I saw an older lady who evidently didn't have any legs getting around by using her hands. She was in line with everybody else. She wore heavy-duty men's work gloves on her hands to protect them from the ground and cold. Maybe she couldn't afford a wheel chair or maybe she plain old likes to get around on her own power. I wish I could help her, but what do you do. I smiled at her, but didn't want to stare so I'm not sure what her disability was. I admire her for going on about her business and making the best of her situation. I need to never complain about waiting in line at the post office, at least I can walk around easily!

6. My entire family slept through a neighbor down the road's home burning down. We were told that several fire trucks, ambulances, etc. came by with screaming sirens and we didn't even turn over. Didn't even know about it until a fireman apologized to my husband for waking us up and my husband said, "What are you talking about". No one was hurt, but the home is gone.

7. I am diligently sewing more tote bags. A few minutes in the morning and few minutes at night. Slowly I will get some things done. My job and housework really get in the way of my sewing!

Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

Kim said...

Debbie, thanks for the kind words about weddings. I'm not sure things are going to turn out well here though, but God is in control! Kudos to you on the weight loss!

Dianna said...

Sounds like you're doing so me great things! Good job!

One source of fiber I enjoy is beans. They are easy, yummy, and help me cut down on meat, too.

One source of fiber that I don't enjoy is Fiber One. Not worth it!

Little Penpen said...

I enjoyed this post... just catching up with your world. Congrats! on the weight loss. I've heard of people going on the fiber diet before and losing weight. I eat a lot of fiber and can tell I feel better when I eat this way consistently. My favorite fiber cereal at the moment is Grape Nuts Trail Mix (I think that is what it is called). It is kind of pricey, but not too bad if you can catch it on sale. Your post office stories are interesting too... how could you NOT stare with that woman on the ground? Amazing!

Alexandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexandra said...

Congrats on the weight loss! I lost weight when I was eating more fiber as well. My doctor told me I need to eat more fiber to help my IBS which I developed this past year. I must make more bean dishes. I've got no gall bladder now, so more fiber would help me as well.

When I sold on ebay Sundays and Wednesday nights(after 9 pm so that I caught all the time zones) were good for me. I sold regularly for years, but haven't been very active since my daughter was born in 2005. There is a very helpful and friendly message board at yardsalequeen.com. You have to join(free) to see all the threads.

They share amazing advice for selling on ebay. On Wednesdays they post all their listings and you can see what sells well. I read over there for years when I was active on ebay...very helpful.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...