Tuesday, June 19, 2007

This Week's Menus

Sunday we had a huge meal in honor of Father's Day. We had steaks on the grill, sweet potato casserole, corn, stringbeans and potatoes, squash and biscuits.

Sunday afternoon I roasted some chicken breasts in the oven and browned some lean hamburger in an effort to make meal preparation faster after work this week.

Monday night I took the chicken meat off the bones and cut into bite size pieces. I used the chicken to make a pasta salad. I used a mixture of whole grain rotini and regular penne rigata, chopped bell pepper from our garden, chopped onion (just a little), light mayo and a little celery seed. We also had plenty of leftover veggies from Sunday's meal to go with the pasta salad. I put some leftover pasta salad in my son's lunch today and brought the rest to work for my lunch. Its even better cold!!!

Tonight I plan to use the browned hamburger to make my fast and easy lasagna. I shared the recipe here earlier. I will have the lasagna ready to eat in 1 hour after walking in the door at home. Still have leftover corn, string beans and potatoes.

Tomorrow night I plan to have lite hotdogs with whole grain hotdog buns. Maybe some broccoli and cheese.

My intention is to do more meal planning and cook ahead as much as possible on the weekend. I tried to freeze my lazagna in the past, but didn't like the taste after it was frozen. I think I would be more successful to just cook for a few days at the time.

I would also like to follow my blogger friend Elizabeth's example and cook the chicken breasts in the crockpot and freeze the bite size pieces, as well as a hamburger mixture. There are lots of chicken recipes that my family like that I could use the chicken and hamburger in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Cooking Chicken in the crock pot works great. 3 chicken breast makes about 5 cups of chopped chicken. Planning and cooking ahead sure makes supper time easier.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...