Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Practice first.... Sew once!

I worked on the monogrammed bags I am making for Christmas gifts over the weekend.  I had already been successful with one bag.  The monogram came out really well.  So I continued on with working on some more bags.  I was not happy to discover that different letters of the alphabet need to be spaced differently, depending on the shape of the letter!  I'm afraid I messed up two of the panels that would have become bags.

Here's the one that I made weekend before last came out great on the first try.

But this one is Bad!  That "W" is way too close to the center "S".

It turned out much better on this practice piece.  I wrote down the numbers and can now monogram the bag correctly.

This one is kind of hard to see, but the "J" on the right is just not right.

This practice piece is much better and I did write down the numbers for future reference!

This one came out ok the first time, thankfully!

Here the machine is set up to go.  Hopefully the practice pieces and numbers I have written down with make this bag a success!

I will definitely do practice pieces from now on before sewing on the fabric I planned to use!


Little Penpen said...

Well poo! I'm sure that was very frustrating! Not to mention having to use up precious thread to practice...lol. But now you know! Your monograms look great; I'm very impressed. I notice some bloggers recommend sewing a pattern out of muslin before making the real deal, like clothing. I think it's a great idea, but man, it would take me forever to make something that way!

Impera Magna said...

I love those bags, Debbie, but how frustrating that you had to adjust the letter spacing! Looks like you're having fun with your embroidery machine.. I know there are going to be some very happy people come the holidays!

A Quilt Story

I normally would only post pictures of quilts if I was working on a new quilt or had finished one and had pictures of the completed quilt.  ...