Wow, two posts in one day! Just felt called to write this post on my lunch break.
2015 Goal No. One:
To not be easily offended and maintain a positive, patient attitude.
Well, I am already an easy going type person, or so I thought. Here's the day's minor irritations that "almost" offended me. (so far) Ha!
1. We order supplies at my office from an office supply company, who has a delivery man to deliver the supplies. Recently, one of our orders was doubled accidentally by who ever packed it up. When I realized this, I went through and got out only the part we were billed for and called the office supply company to let them know that they should pick up the products that we weren't supposed to get.
Well, that's being an honest and nice person in my opinion. But, the delivery man was highly irritated to have to come pick it up because, he felt sure I'd be ordering more of the same products and then he'd just be bringing them back. Well yes, I'm sure I would, but I didn't need them at that time and it wouldn't be that easy to get the paperwork straightened out.
Sure enough, today I ordered a couple of the items that he had picked up 2 weeks ago, and he was making little comments to me and others in the office that he "knew" this would happen. WELL, pardon me for being honest.
2. Did you know that people driving in parking lots will run right into you if you don't watch them? NUF SAID!
3. I went through the drive through at a fast food restaurant. The line moved fast and I got the right food..... but now I know why the line moved so fast. No straw in the bag and a knife instead of a spoon. You ever tried to eat chili with a knife?
4. Did you know that in rural North Carolina, tractors drive on the highway even when its January and its below freezing weather. And they don't pull off the highway, even when they could just keep going down the side of the road, even when there is a LOONG line of traffic behind them trying to get to work on time? NUF SAID!
5. Our power was off for 1/2 hour this morning at the office. This didn't bother me too much, but thought it was worth mentioning. I think the person who hit the pole that caused it was having a much worse day!
To put these minor things into perspective, I am so thankful to have a job, a car and food! Sometimes not being easily offended is just a matter of having patience with other people. I sure do need their patience with me on a regular basis! If I was driving a tractor, I would get out of people's way, but if I was working at that drive through, I am sure I'd leave out stuff and put in knives instead of spoons, when under pressure.
So to quote a title of a book published a few years ago, "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, and Its all Small Stuff".
I need to ALWAYS remember that every person I come into contact with has a story and I never know what they are dealing with.
The positives that I experience every day far outweigh the little
irritations that come my way. How about you? What irritates you?