Monday, August 5, 2013

The Farmhouse Kitchen - Monday

I've been working diligently on meal planning and trying some new recipes.  Keeping up with what we have in the freezer and pantry and what needs to be cooked is an ongoing opportunity to save money.

Every year we are given several containers of blueberries.  I also noticed that the snack drawer was bare.  So I pulled out the last two containers of blueberries that had been languishing in the back of the fridge on their last leg, and made a Blueberry Crumb Cake.




The blueberries were put to use and there are some sweet snacks in the house now. 





Blueberries are good for you, but we won't dwell on the amount of butter in this recipe!  Click on this link to see the recipe.  PIONEER WOMAN BLUEBERRY CRUMB CAKE.




Oh my, it was delicious with vanilla ice cream!  No picture with the ice cream, but this picture tells the story of the yumminess!



I sliced the cake into individual squares and refrigerated some for use this week.  I froze a couple of pieces for lunches later. 

Notes about the recipe:

It calls for whole milk, but I only had 2%.  It seemed to work fine anyway.

The crumbs on top for me weren't crumbly.  I think I either didn't use enough of the dry ingredients, or a little too much butter.  It tasted great, but just wasn't crumbly.  I'll adjust this next time to achieve the desired results.



Making the cake, combined with freezing tomatoes, made a little mess!  I cleaned it up right away, I promise!


I worked in the kitchen, cooking, organizing and planning this weekend, and I'll be posting more about it as the week goes on.

3 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Yum...I love blueberries. I made blueberry cobbler a couple weeks ago. I've been reading The Freedom Diet (which really isn't a diet) and am trying to get encouraged to cook more and eat better.

Auntie M said...

You made my mouth water. We have blueberries, so I just might try your recipe. And, I will not count the butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhonda said...

Scratch cooking does result in good food and also dirty dishes. But it is what it is!

Your cake looks delicious!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...