Sunday, August 7, 2011

My Freezer Cooking Weekend



Now that we have a small chest freezer, I decided to give freezer cooking a serious try. I feel pretty successful in that I was able to store away in the freezer a good selection of foods in the limited amount of time I had over the weekend. Now that I'm getting the hang of it, I want to gradually add to my stash of freezer foods.

Here is a list of what I accomplished:

2 gallon freezer bags and 1 quart bag of homemade vegetable beef soup, using our home grown tomatoes as the main ingredient

1 chicken pot pie and dressing for 3 adults

5 bags of chicken broth containing 2 cups each and 1 quart bag containing 4 cups

Italian chicken cooked and ready to reheat. I will add mozzarella cheese on top before baking.

1 bag of 20 Italian meatballs.

1 family size chicken tetrazzini

1 meatloaf mix (unbaked)

1 bag containing 2 cups of cubed baked chicken

1 pan of bbq chicken that I put in the fridge to be eaten Tuesday night.

6 individually wrapped brownies.

I made a huge pot of the vegetable beef soup and wanted to only put the amount of soup needed for a meal in one bag. These are the mugs that we like to use for soup, so I measured out how much each mug holds and then put that much in each bag. Each mug holds 3 cups, so I put 6 cups of the soup in each bag.







Some brownies for now....



And some for later in the freezer. My hubby can put a frozen brownie in his lunch bag and by lunch time it will be thawed and ready to eat.



I will use these meatballs to make spaghetti and meatballs, sweet and sour or bbq meatballs. If they taste good, I plan to make several more bags because they were easy to make and freeze well. I laid them out on a plate to freeze individually before putting them in the freezer bag.



Here the chicken tetrazzini was cooling before I put it a gallon size freezer bag. When I am ready to serve it, I will let it thaw in the fridge, then put it in a baking dish and add some cheese on top.



I also made some tomato juice for my hubby. I put some in the fridge for him to drink while it was fresh...



and these freezer containers hold more for later.



I think having some meals and meal starters in the freezer will make a huge difference in the ease of menu planning. We'll see!

This post in linked to Stone Gable's "ON THE MENU MONDAY".

16 comments:

Pen Pen said...

Wow! you have been busy. did you just decide what you wanted to do, or did you use a freezer cookbook? I have a freezer cookbook, but most of the recipes don't sound like something we would like to eat. Your choices are all yummy!

Impera_Magna said...

Wow... did you sit down all weekend?

You're probably already doing this but if not... keep a list of what's in the freezer to remind yourself. "Expiration dates" too...

Denise said...

Yummy, this winter you will be well fed! I would love one of those brownies with my coffee right about now!

Granny said...

I'd say your first round of freezer cooking was a huge success. I love hving meals frozen ahead of time. Your freezer will pay for itself in a short time.

Tanya@takesix said...

Oh my goodness...I am so impressed. I would LOVE to cook like this. Thank you for the inspiration and motivation...I'm definitely going to try this.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sounds like you had a very busy weekend! I'm sure you'll love having all of that great food ready when you want it:@)

Auntie M said...

Hey Debbie,

I want to come back soon!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the kind of cooking I did
in earlier years. It is a great timesaver and a blessing on those busy days when you have no time to even think about what mightbe in store for dinner.

You are a gem.

~JoAnn~ said...

Debbie~ Everything looks so good. We have the same type of baskets in our freezer but they are blue :) Guess I should try that type of cooking too since I also have a freezer right now it mainly holds ice cream :) :)

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Great idea. Need to get organized like you.

Mrs. E said...

Wow Debbie you have been a busy little bee. I love having things on hand too.
Great job.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

ancient one said...

I'm so impressed. I've never had much already cooked food in the freezer unless I had a lot of left-overs that sometimes I froze.

Deanna said...

Whew! What a list! But, I'll bet you feel very successful.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Debbie,
Looks like you had a very busy week end. I just love having meals in the freezer all ready to go, it really helps out in busy times. Thanks for sharing and have a great week!
Miz Helen

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

This is what I dream of doing! I don't know where you get the energy! But you have an impressive amount of food for just cooking over the weekend!~ Thank you for joining ON THE MENU MONDAY and inspiring all of us!
Yvonne

Rhonda said...

It all looks good! :) That should really come in handy.

Mary Ann said...

You did great! As you well know, I am a big fan of freezer cooking...love squirreling things away to use later!

It's a good deal of work at the time but will pay off big in the long run.

Visitors