Friday, August 27, 2010

Small Town America - An Inspirational Walk

As part of my Bible Study Wednesday, I went on a nature walk during my lunch break to reflect on Psalm 139.

I began my walk at 12:00 noon, just in time to hear a distant church's chimes to the tune of "Rock of Ages". Music always has a magical effect on me and this time was no exception, as I walked down this sidewalk toward the city cemetery located a couple of blocks from my office.



Walking through a cemetery is a good way to do a Bible Study! If you have the opportunity, walk around and read the scriptures and reflect on life's meaning.





These engravings made me wonder, "How will my loved ones remember me?"






This old hand pump was located in an old section of the cemetery. A sign of times gone by with its own rustic beauty.



A Beautiful tribute.



A few end of summer Marigolds and Morning Glories entwined together. Can it be that Summer is loosening its grip?



Crepe Myrtles are still blooming!



My walk carried me through the historical district of this small town passing beautiful old Southern homes.



I love this front porch with the vines growing around the top. There are rocking chairs and I can just imagine sitting there, drinking hot coffee or iced tea, watching the world go by.



One more.


These are the same lillies that have been blooming in the farmhouse yard:





Are these crabapples?



Psalm 139
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, [a] you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to [b] me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God!
Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!

20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.

21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD,
and abhor those who rise up against you?

22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a walk down memory lane. While I am not all too familiar with this particular cemetary, I have been there. The messages on the stones really do make one stop to consider how we might be remembered.

Also, thank you for the stroll past the wonderful old residences which have been lovingly cared for over the years. I would love to walk with you down this street.

Marjorie

Little Penpen said...

Love this post! What a pretty town! I love walking through cemetaries and have not done so in a long time. you have inspired me to find one soon.

Little Penpen said...

oh and yes, those are crabapples. I have a tree that is full of them and they are making a mess by the back door. However, my dogs love them... they love "sneaking" them inside my house.

Denise said...

Thanks for taking me on your nature walk and sharing Psalm 139 I love walking through old cemetaries, they are such a peaceful places.

Mom2fur said...

Beautiful, Debbie!
I like the tombstone about "one tough cookie." That must have been a family with a sense of humor, even in sorrow!
Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. I'm not really great at anything, LOL! But I do enjoy it all!

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
How pretty. I would so love to live in a smal town. I love the cozyness of small town life.
Have a wonderful week end.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Alexandra said...

Isn't this cooler weather wonderful! I hope to get out for nature walks again. This was a beautiful reflection. Thanks for sharing!

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. "

Amen!

~Lesa~ said...

Beautiful post and beautiful pictures...loved the one where she let her light shine and she was one tough cookie. :)

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...