Thursday, August 12, 2010

On My Sewing Table This Morning

I never realized how many different ways 9 patch quilt squares can be used. This week I have been experimenting with them. I want to make a Double Nine Patch Irish Chain Quilt in red and white. Here's the trial block. It finishes at 9 inches, with the smaller corner and center 9 patch squares finishing at 1 inch. I used small scraps for this one, but handling the small pieces is very hard! I will be trying it using strip piecing tonight.



I am also working on a blue and beige pattern. This picture shows 6 1/2 inch squares in the blue and beige and also the red and white.



Piles of scraps in blue and red:


7 comments:

Granny said...

I love nine patch quilts. Yours with the tiny squares is pretty but the larger squares is what I work with. I end up doing more ripping out than stitching on the small ones.

Denise said...

Love it....the more you post about them the more I think I need to get my scraps out and make me one!!

Little Penpen said...

red, white, and blue... perfect color combination!

Anonymous said...

Such little squares! Boy, do I have a lot of scraps for you to work with.

You do a wonderful job, It is so good that you enjoy it.

Marjorie

kim said...

I wanted to thank you as it was reading your blog that encouraged me to start my own, but I'm afraid I still need a little more confidence to make my first quilt, yours are truly beautiful......I will just have to watch and learn.
florrie x

Barb said...

I won some beautiful, already cut, squares from Nola at: justrammbling.blogspot.com. I am so excited to make a nine-patch with them! I of course ran right to your blog to get inspiration! I love the red and white!

Blessings,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
How pretty. I have been sewing this week too. I thought about you.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...