Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Saturday Chore - Cleaning the Kitchen Floor

After a week of rain, my kitchen floor was in need of being mopped. So, Saturday it was included on the chore list.

But, after I went over it once, it just didn't seem clean. I decided to try one of my favorite store brands that I posted about on Frugal Friday, Great Value Brand All Purpose Cleaner with Bleach.



If you look closely you will see that my kitchen floor has little grooves or texture like lines in it that dirt accumulates in. It builds up slowly over time and after a while, if you aren't careful, you will think the dirt is a part of the color of the floor.

Before:



So I tested the cleaner on one square of the floor. I sprayed a good amount of the cleaner on the square and let it sit for about 30 seconds.



I recently bought a new mop that has a stiff brush on the top. I just flipped the mop over and gave the square a little scrub.



Then I flipped the mop back over and mopped up the dirty water. I was so amazed that the floor had been so dirty without my even realizing it.

After:



The motto of this post is: If you get down on your floor and look really closely you may be surprised at what you will find. Simply looking at it while standing 5 feet away won't tell you if the floor is truly clean.

The great thing about cleaning the floor with my new mop and cleaner is that it was so easy! It didn't even take that much exertion. In times past I have been known to get down on the floor and scrub every inch of it by hand. I don't think my knees would take too kindly that that punishment now!

8 comments:

~JoAnn~ said...

Debbie~ That's some good floor cleaner. You always seem to find good frugal ideas, good for you. Thanks for the comment on my pocketbooks I made for Mother's day gifts, I used your pattern but changed a few things.Thanks for the pattern.
Blessings,Joann

Heather said...

what a difference! i steam mop my floors regularly but once a month or once every other month i scrub them on my hands and knees :)
i had to buy one of those knee pads for the garden-you know those foam things and then that's what i use when i'm scrubbing my floors so my knees don't hurt or fall asleep on me!

Debbie said...

ok, you've reminded me that my kitchen floor is dirty. ugh. i've never tried bleach cleaner on it. usually swiffer wet or vinegar.
ok now i'm motivated. bleach cleaner it is!

ancient one said...

Well that turned out well...I need to get to work...LOL

Little Penpen said...

Don't tell me that!!! I don't want to SCRUB my floor right now. :o) Great job!

Nanci said...

Funny you should write about cleaning a textured kitchen floor - I, also, had cleaned my kitchen floor on Friday. Like you when I was done, I really wasn't satisfied. But time constraints (friends coming) caused me just to leave it in disgust.

I think we'll try it again this week with your cleaner and a brush!

Thanks for sharing.

Terri said...

Wow, what a difference! However, I don't want to get down and look too closely at my floor. LOL!

Alexandra said...

Oh boy, you got me sold! LOL I use that powder bleach on the bathroom tile floors, but as you can imagine, it's hard to get up. I'm going to try this stuff. Thanks for shariung. :)

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...