Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Keep a Frontlog, Not a Backlog

TIME MANAGEMENT

I am summarizing the book I am reading called "How to Have a 48 Hour Day", by Don Aslett. The chapter that has been the most inspiration to me is called BE EARLY.

Another topic in the chapter, "BE EARLY", is called "Keep a Frontlog, Not a Backlog". The author states that "High Producers don't have backlogs. When you work from behind you never really catch up enough to be able to go back and pick up. Producers maintain a frontlog, a list of things to do ahead. When you're always working ahead of yourself, pushing things ahead of you rather than pulling them along behind you, you have twice the control."

I love the illustration on this page of an elephant pushing some logs ahead of him. I keep remembering this image as I go about my day. So, what can we do to create a front log?

1. Make a list of the things you can do ahead of time.
2. Carry the list with you at all times.
3. Work on the list in the little snippets of time or larger chunks of time you may have.
4. BE EARLY!

These are some examples I'm applying the front log to:

1. Working on Christmas Cards
2. Paying Bills
3. Cooking meals
4. Buying gifts for occasions in the future
5. Sewing projects
6. Blog Posts

There are lots of ways to use a front log!

No comments:

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...