Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Counting Our Blessings!

Among the many heart breaking happenings of the last two weeks, a bright spot... Two of my older brothers built my Mama a wheel chair ramp yesterday and so this morning she was able to be wheeled outside to look at her garden....

We have been eating the bounty of her work this past spring. Its way too hot for her to be out there working anyway, but I know its breaking her heart to know she can't work in it.... probably not any more this year, maybe never again....

You see she is a farm girl through and through. She was one of eleven children raised on a farm in the twenties, thirties and forties. All her brothers were away in the war and she "HAD" to help run the farm. No one was there to help her "papa" so she did it. She enjoyed it. Her sisters wanted to stay at the house and cook and clean, Mama wanted to help her Papa. When she was a tiny thing he would give her a little bucket and she would follow him around in the field and help him.

So even in the bad times, remember to count your blessings!

6 comments:

HEATHER said...

Bless her heart! Maybe she will be able to rehab, so she can do some garden work.

Little Penpen said...

Amen! We take so many things for granted... like being able to walk, being able to feed ourselves, being able to make it to the bathroom, being able to swallow.... just being able to take a good breath of air! God bless your Mama... I hope she continues to get better.

ancient one said...

Hi Debbie,

Hadn't been by in a while and didn't know about your mom..but I read back and caught up with your blog... I hope your mom continues to improve. I know she is wanting to get back to doing things for herself. People of that generation are so independent.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, that was so sweet. I've been thinking of you all.

When you mentioned about your mother growing up in that time period and working on the farm it made me think that I wish I had written down stories of my grandparents. I nag my dad all the time now to write stories of his childhood. Have you done anything like that with your own mother?

Oh yea, I am back to blogging. Come on over to read the real story. And yes I am blushing. ha.

Melinda

Mom2fur said...

Your brothers are so awesome to build that wheelchair ramp. I know that kind of thing takes a lot of work and talent, and I'm sure it was a labor of love!
I can picture your Mama carrying that little bucket, like Shirley Temple singing with Bojangles in that movie..."Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm," I think.
I took a picture of my awesome clothespin bag and I'm going to blog about it today!
Please, btw, don't say 'never again'! You've got my prayers and gazillions of others sending good wishes that your Mama will 'play' in her garden again!

Terri said...

What wonderful sons she has to build her a way to enjoy her garden. You are right, we need to savor many small things because we never know when they will be taken away.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...