Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thrifty Thursday

THRIFT STORE EXCITEMENT!

My favorite thrift store has a 39 cent sale 4 times a year and this weekend is the sale. This store is only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday each week. The 39 cent sale does not include large appliances, furniture, large baby items, etc., but does include every thing else in the store. Many of the items I have purchased in the past were only 25 cents to start with, but there are some things I've been waiting for the sale to purchase.

For instance, they have a huge rack of dresses, many of which have lots of buttons on them. The dresses are usually $2.50. For 39 cents I can buy a dress that has 12 buttons on it to use for sewing projects.

There's also the possibility of dresses that have good fabric to use for projects. One example would be a denim jumper I recently bought from this rack at the same thrift store. It has what seems like yards of fabric in it, with a Noah's Ark scene appliqued on the front and the back. The dress is new, without tags. I don't know anyone who wants it. I tried to sell it on EBay, but no takers! I hate to cut it up, but I think the denim fabric would make great tote bags. The sections with the Noah's Ark scenes would make a cute baby quilt or other creative ideas that I can come up with. Here is a picture of the jumper.


FRONT


BACK



AND you never know what treasure you might run across! The store closes at 5:00 each day, so maybe on Friday since I get off work at 4:00, I can get off one hour early at 3:00. It takes me thirty minutes to get to the store from where I work, so I'd have 1 and 1/2 hours to browse.

Today is Thrifty Thursday over at Comical Coupon Cents. You can read about more thriftiness at her blog!

I hope you have a great Thursday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K. I'd have to say now that you are really thinking frugally. Good job! We are all going to have to start thinking that way if things keeping going the way they are. Paula (amishwoman49 @hotmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Debbie,
That sounds like a fabulous sale - I hope you find lots of treasures!

You'll have to let us know what you find. Have fun!

Little Penpen said...

Good luck on your treasure hunt. The denim jumper is cute. I would hate to cut it up too, but if you can't wear it, you may as well use it to make other pretties. We used to live in a Mennonite community where the ladies made their own dresses. One told me that they would visit the thrift stores, buy old big dresses, and cut them up and remake into their own dresses for very little $$$. I always thought that was a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
I bought a box of antique embroidery linens this week that have some stains on some of them. I plan to cut out the design and make crafts out of them.
Thanks for sweet comments.I have started put the Gospel Reading back on my blog. :)
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

You do think frugal! Let us know what bargains you find!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...