I am in the menu planning, stocking up, limiting grocery store trips MODE lately!!!
One area of my home that really needs help is my freezer. Our chest freezer is located in the garage and right now has only a few outdated and freezer burned items in the very bottom. (Old deer meat and frozen corn, YUCK!)
We are paying for the electricity to run the freezer and to be frugal and a good steward of God's provisions, I really need to start taking advantage of our freezer.
My plan is to clean it out, defrost it and start over completely. The summer months are coming which is the perfect time for stocking up the freezer with vegetables. Also any good meat deals.
These are some ideas I have:
1. Defrost and clean the freezer regularly.
2. Label and date all foods.
3. With the date on there it will be easy to keep rotating the foods in order to use the oldest ones first.
4. Double recipes for foods that freeze well.
5. Buy in bulk those meats, cheeses, etc. that are on sale at an unbeatable price.
6. Educate myself on what freezes well, how long it can be kept frozen, etc.
7. Experiment with freezer cooking until I come up with some recipes that we like from the freezer.
8. Purchase containers for freezing items at yard sales and thrift stores.
9. Organize the freezer with like items together, using plastic containers, etc.
10. I did a google search of freezer tips and came across these two sites which I plan to go back to later when time allows. Thought you'd like to visit them too:
Love Food, Hate Waste
Please visit Tammy's Recipes for more kitchen tips!
Good Morning! I worked in the sewing room on Saturday and completed two more of the small monogrammed tote bags that I am working on for C...
Note: If you want to buy clothespin bags, please visit MY ETSY SHOP (CLICK HERE) But, feel free to make your own from this tutorial! T...
We are getting lots of tomatoes from our little kitchen garden and I am trying to make use of each and every one of them. We've been eat...