Friday, September 28, 2007

Frugal Friday

My Frugal Friday tip for this week is to use what God furnishes to us in Nature for decorating our homes. There are plenty of ideas to use in all the seasons, especially in the fall.

I went to the library in search of ideas for nature crafts and decorating for Fall from nature and was amazed at the number of books available on that subject, even in my small town library.

These are just 3 of the several I checked out from the library.



Some ideas would be:

1. Press colorful leaves and fill a box with them to mail to someone who lives where there aren't any colorful leaves. Some one in Iraq or other military site comes to my mind.

2. If you live near a wheat field, there are lots of things to do with the seed heads.

3. Use tiny pine cones, sweet gum balls, etc. to make place cards, for decorations on wrapped gifts or to decorate with in other ways.

4. Dry the end of summer flowers and make wreaths from them.

5. Corn stalks and corn husks make great fall decorations.

I went in my yard in search of ideas and found there were plenty of acorns right now from several oak trees. These pictures show a couple of ideas for using acorns.










This is one small grape vine wreath I made from grape vines. Over the years I have made several of these in all sizes. Just decorate them with whatever is available in the season you are celebrating. If you don't have grape vines available to you the wreaths can be purchased inexpensively and then you can decorate them from nature.




I would think that no matter where you live there are opportunities available to you to gather nature's bounty. I live in the country and have corn fields, wheat fields and woods all around me. If you live in town you probably have a yard or can go to a park.

I'm not the most creative person in the world, but I'm sure all of you could come up with some beautiful nature decorations and crafts!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Very good ideas. Your house must be lovely.

Anonymous said...

Great ideas Debbie! You are so creative. I love all the photos :)

Love,

Joy

Little Penpen said...

Love the acorns! How lucky for you to have your own stash! I remember picking them up in my friend's yard when we young. I haven't even seen an acorn in years. I especially like the candle jar you filled with acorns.

Kara said...

I love your decorations. I'm going to take my girls out in search of decorations this afternoon. Thanks for the ideas!

The Proverbs Wife said...

Thanks for leaving a comment at proverswife.blogspot.com with information for me to find your post on Autumn decorating.

I really like what you did with the acorns, especially the candle jar.

You have a post titled heart strings where you added a picture af a table that your husband bought for you. It is such a coinsidence that I have a table very similar to it. It's the same scale and has a neat little shelf on top and below. My son and I made it from some left over lumber that I had.

It is so amazing when we can look around our homes and be reminded of such wonderful experiences.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...