Sunday, September 30, 2007

FIRST SATURDAY OF AUTUMN IN MY HOME



My husband got into the act on the Fall decorating! He brought home these corn stalks and pumpkins today and made this arrangement. This is a bird feeder he gave me last Christmas. I think it needs a big Fall colored bow and it will be perfect!

Today, like all Saturdays, was very busy!

I started off with laundry. Its an all day Saturday thing usually and today was no exception. I don't think I washed a single load this past week, so there was a lot to do. My son did do some of his own laundry earlier in the week, so that helped. It was a beautiful, cool, breezy day. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to hang out clothes, so I filled up three lines, a drying rack and about 15 hangers. I also dried three loads in the dryer! I know its hard to believe, but I actually get the laundry done faster and easier when I hang as much as I can. Its so cozy to climb into a bed with freshly line dried sheets, when you are so tired and sleepy!! :o).

Early in the morning I started some homemade vegetable soup. I was supposed to cook this on Thursday night according to the menu I posted last Sunday, but I had so much food on hand, I waited until today. It turned out really good. It contained browned hamburger, onion, garlic, green and yellow sweet bell pepper from the garden, zucchini, field peas, corn, string beans, potatoes, diced tomatoes with cilantro and lime, a bay leaf and tomato paste. I added about 2 1/2 cups water and let it simmer all morning.





I squeezed a little sewing in also. These are the finished chicken napkins and coasters.




I started on a Wolf wall hanging. First I put the backing for the quilt on the floor right side down(after vacuuming really well) and taped it down.


Then I laid the quilt batting on top of the backing.

Then I laid the quilt top face up on top of the batting. I use quilt basting safety pins to pin the quilt sandwich together at regular intervals all over. I usually do this a few minutes at a time. A small quilt like this wall hanging or a baby quilt doesn't take that long, but a full size bed quilt can take quite a while. Crawling around on the floor is very tiring, but I've found this to be the easiest way since I don't have access to a large table. Now that I think about it, I could have done this small wall hanging on my kitchen table!










I started machine quilting the wall hanging, but honestly am not satisfied with the way it is turning out. I've machine quilted several pieced quilts before and it went really well, but this whole piece quilt top is not quilting smoothly with my old Singer Sewing Machine, even using a quilting foot. I plan to finish it anyway and possibly sell it at a yard sale. I don't have too much money in the project, so its ok.

The day was completed by going to a special service at my church for the anointing of the sick. My Mama is 82 years old and has quite a few health problems. She has back pain continuously and must take pain medicine to be able to bear it. So I wanted to make sure she went to this service. Hopefully she will be strengthened both spiritually and physically by the anointing.

I hope that your Saturday was as full and satisfying as mine and that the rest of your weekend is great!

Debbie J.

4 comments:

Alexandra said...

I love your chicken napkins and coaster. That fabric would make a cute table cloth!

Prayers for relief for your mother's back pain.

Anonymous said...

That soup looks yum! I also pin my quilts on the floor, but usually on tiles. Did you do that on carpet? One problem with our new house is that it doesn't have any space to pin my quilts - too small :( I'm going to need to borrow someone else's floor for that!!
I hope your Mum was blessed by the service on Sat night.
Love,
Joy

Kelli said...

What a productive day! It's just before dinner as I type, your delicious looking soup has my tummy rumbling!

Little Penpen said...

Don't you just love your days off? I do too! I got up this morning and surprised my family with pancakes and bacon. The first thing my husband said was "When you quit work, will you do this everyday?" Sounds like you had a great day and your soup did look yummy.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...