Friday, August 10, 2007

Frugal Friday


A frugal Week:

I seem to have done several frugal activities this week. I really didn't think about them as being frugal at the time, but looking back now, they were. And you know what, they were things I enjoyed doing and made my life easier!

1. I got out my clothes drying racks last Saturday and started hanging some things on them to cut down on dryer use. Placed over the air conditioning vent, it takes advantage of that expensive luxury in another way. I also hung some of the menfolk's shirts on plastic hangers straight from the washing machine and hung them on the clothes line to dry. My son, Jacob, bought himself some new shirts this week that fit him really well, but they don't need to be shrunk much in the dryer. So, I'm going to try to hang them up to dry. (you know they'll eventually hit that dryer though!)

Check out last Saturday's post down below called "Letting God Dry My Clothes" to see pictures!

Lesson no. one: towels placed on the dryer rack, even with liquid fabric softener, are stiff as a board. So towels go in the dryer!

2. Its been excessively hot this week, but despite that I had been wanting some chicken and rice. I had some boney pieces of chicken in the freezer that needed to be used soon. So over the weekend I thawed the chicken and Monday morning early I boiled it until tender, picked off the chicken from the bones and added one cup of rice and just a little salt. I made sure I didn't over cook the rice. I poured out the excess liquid, leaving just a little. I placed it in a plastic container with a lid and placed it in the refrigerator at work. Each day this week I took a sandwich from home and at lunch time I would heat up a small bowl of the chicken and rice to go with the sandwich.

Now you may ask me "why in the world would you want to eat that kind of food when it is 100 degrees outside?". This is why: I stayed inside the air conditioned building every day instead of driving to a fastfood place. I didn't go shopping. I used the time while eating to catch up my blog, work on my check book, or pay bills. I haven't really been affected by the hot weather because I've been inside all week.

I saved gas, food money, and no telling what if I had gone shopping.

Today I'll go outside at lunch because I've been putting off all week my trip to CVS to get what looks like one of the best deals they've ever had. (The $20.00 free kraft food deal and free Aquafresh Toothpaste) I also need to go to Walgreens to get some deals there that I have coupons for. Check out www.littlepenpen.blogspot.com to see all the deals she got a CVS!!!

Lesson No. 2: Will need a new idea for lunch next week, can't eat chicken and rice again next week!

3. Alexandra at http://happyheartsathome.blogspot.com/ had a link on her blog yesterday for making homemade napkins. I liked them a lot, so last night I got out my scrap bag and made one to see how it would look. It's cute I think! You can use 2 different kinds of fabric for each side or the same. I've had the sewing bug all week so this allowed me to get out some that energy. I plan to get a cute basket to put my rolled up homemade napkins in just like in the picture on the link. This is a picture of the one I made, showing the front and the back.

Thanks Alexandra for the great link!

4. Also check out the post from Wednesday of this week which shows the recipes I cooked for Justin's birthday. Cooking the meal at home and celebrating at home as compared to what celebrating at a restaurant would have cost saved quite a bit of money. He celebrated his birthday out with friends the next night, so he had well rounded birthday celebration!

Visit www.biblicalwomanhood.com/blog for more Frugal Friday ideas!

3 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Once again, very good ideas! The chicken and rice sounds yummy to me. In fact, yesterday at work I ate a sandwich and a can of chicken noodle soup. Two people came into the lounge and stated "You are eating soup on a hot day like today????" while they had their big bags of take out food that they paid who knows how much for? Not to mention the extra calories! I like the napkins idea and I have a wooden clothes dryer rack that I don't use often enough. I'll get it out today while doing laundry... thanks for the idea!

Mom2fur said...

I'm so happy you got the $20 deal at CVS! And the chicken and rice sounds yummy. Lately, I've been thinking of homemade macaroni and cheese. It's a little cooler out today...okay, a LOT cooler...but I don't have the ingredients on hand. Still, maybe all these comfort foods are our way of looking forward to the fall?
BTW, I'm not that great of a seamstress. I just stick with easy stuff, LOL!

Mary Ann said...

I saw the link for those cute napkins on Alexandra's blog,too. Seeing the one you made reminded me to sew up a couple during nap time today. So fun and a great way to use up scraps of fabric!

Great post! It's the little things that really add up.:-)

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...