Sunday, July 29, 2007

Jungle Babies Baby Quilt



I finished the baby quilt I have been working on. The two pictures above show the front and the back. The fabric is called "Jungle Babies". Pictured at the top is the picture shown with the pattern I used called "Sheep and Rail Fence" which came from an old Georgia Bonesteel Book Club called "Spinning Spools" . A friend gave me 3 huge notebooks full of all the club patterns. I just used the jungle babies print in the place of the sheep and used a totally different color scheme. BUT, I love the way the quilt pictured at the top turned out and would love to make one like that too, but I'm not too good at applique! My daughter picked out the jungle babies fabric. She wanted something different than pastel baby blue.
I hand quilted the quilt. I quilted in the ditch on the interior of the quilt and a chain design on the border. I'm not sure if you can see the detail of the quilting in the picture.
One thing I love about quilting is that you can take any pattern, pick your own color scheme and make it all your own. The possibilities are endless.
I got started quilting using the Georgia Bonesteel original Lap Quilting book. The cover on mine is tattered and torn. It was written before Rotary Cutting became popular so all my patterns were homemade from cardboard. I still have the pieces in my quilting storage boxes. But I still look at that old book from time to time to get ideas. The design I used for the quilting on the border came from that old book.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous, Debbie! I love it! You have done a great job :) I love the simple, yet effective design. I'll have to try one myself one day (after I finish all the other ones I'm working on!!).

Love,

Joy

Mom2fur said...

Oh, look how cute! The animals look like they are peeking out of windows.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you visit again!

Little Penpen said...

I love the Jungle Babies Quilt! You did a great job.... the baby will love it. I'm sure every stitch you put in it was put in with love. I started with Georgia
Bonesteel too, and I also have all my old cardboard templates. In fact, I've never done too much rotary cutting. I have just "got" to get with modern time.

Kayla said...

I love the jungle babies quilt. I did my babies nursery in jungle babies. How much would you charge to make one? my email is kmressler@sbcglobal.net

Thanks!

Chris said...

So fun that we used the same fabric. The baby monkey is cute as a button. I like your design as well, almost a pinwheel effect. My border is similar to yours - I have jungle leaves, where you have the chain. Nice job on your hand-quilting!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...