Thursday, August 8, 2019

Sewing Machine Story - Roger's Sewing Machine

I have a "new to me" sewing machine!  She's a beauty and here is her story.


The machine is inside this beautiful wooden cabinet.


My sister gave it to me.  She bought it at an estate sale, but not just any estate sale.  The person who's estate sale it was sold at was her boyfriend, Roger.  Both Roger and my sister had lost their spouses a while before they met, and had only been dating about a year when he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer.  He only lived about 6 months after that.

It was one of the saddest stories, because they were in love, and had already lost their spouses.  They really enjoyed doing things together before he became ill.  It broke my heart when she told me that the last time she saw him, he was being transported to a different hospital by ambulance and had asked her to watch the ambulance until he was completely out of sight.  She did and he died later that day, before she could get to where he had been transported.

So this sewing machine actually belonged to his first wife, but was included in the estate sale after he died.  My sister went to the estate sale and to quote her, she said, "I could NOT just leave the sewing machine there".   In fact she saw the machine the first day of the sale and could not get the machine out of her mind.  So she ended up going back the next day and bought the machine.  I feel honored that she gave me the machine and love that it has a story.

Another story that my sister shared with me is that Roger had told her that somehow he would let her know he was ok after he died.  Just a few days later she was working in her flower bed and a blue bird perched very near her and just stayed there near her for several minutes.  If you know anything about blue birds or any wild bird, for that matter, they do not come over close to a person and just sit there looking at them.    So my sister firmly believes that the bluebird was a sign from God that Roger was ok.

Roger's Sewing Machine


This sewing machine is a Singer, Model 15-91.  HERE'S a link to the Singer website where I can order all the parts I would ever need.  At the top of the page it says:

  "The SINGER Model 15-91 Was the Top of The Line Machine in The 1940's Decade. It Featured the SINGER Famous Direct Drive Gear Motor. Millions of 15-91 Machines are still in Use Today Throughout The World."


However, when I checked the serial number of my machine on THIS Singer Sewing Machine Serial Number site, it says my machine was made in 1951. 

There are definitely no plastic parts and this machine is bound to be a workhorse!  There is already a box full of attachments and other things, so I hopefully I have everything I need to start sewing.  I also have the original handbook!

Box of attachments, etc., the handbook, and key that locks the cabinet.

I'm looking forward to sewing with Roger's sewing machine and am planning to make a simple mug rug as the first official project that I will make with it.


So I wonder if you have ever had a first hand experience of having a sign from God?  I have had my own and I bet you have too.



3 comments:

Out My window said...

What a sad but sweet story, I am so happy you were gifted this machine!

Dianna said...

What a beautiful machine and a lovely story. Thank you. :)

Little Penpen said...

What a bittersweet story! This sewing machine will always mean so much to you and it is beautiful!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...