Monday, January 4, 2016

Before and After Christmas Organization

Here are a few "before" and "after" pictures of my 2015 Christmas Organization/Declutter session.  As you can see in these "before" pictures, it was pretty messy.  Lots of cardboard boxes and lots of plastic totes that I wasn't even sure of the contents. 






In the "after" pictures, you will probably think it doesn't look much different!  But, I got rid of the cardboard boxes and lots of junk.  I now know what's in the boxes and only kept the "good" stuff.  I have to admit that after I put the boxes of stuff in the car that I was going to donate, I had second thoughts and went back and retrieved some of it.  Why does "stuff" have such a hold on me?  I don't know.  But I am proud of what I accomplished anyway.







I also organized my wrapping supplies that didn't include Christmas.  Now all the gift bags that I am reusing, ribbons and wrapping paper are all together in an easily accessible place.


Here's a list of some of the things I got rid of:

1.  Ugly, ragged gift bags
2.  Pieces of left over wrapping paper, some was wrinkled.
3.  Left over tissue paper that was VERY wrinkled and messy looking
4.  Mashed bows
5.  Several pairs of new with tags Christmas socks from the Dollar store.  I had planned to make some kind of craft with these, but it never happened.
6.  Broken, ugly ornaments that had no sentimental value
7.  Candles and plug in type fragrance things that I didn't use or like
8.  Boxes.  Had too many of those saved for future use.  I can only use so many!
9.  Christmas lights that don't work any more.
10.  Old, faded Christmas dish towels or some that I don't like. I bought some new ones this year.
11.  Polyester Cloth napkins that I didn't like and never used.

One thing I did that I am so happy to have done:  Instead of all the ornaments being pretty much thrown into one big plastic tote, I organized them into categories.  Each of my children's childhood ornaments are now in a smaller box by themselves.  The ornaments that go on a particular tree are in individual containers or zip lock bags.  Next year it will be so much easier to decorate for Christmas.

Its also nice to have things in smaller plastic containers by themselves.  For instance, if I want to make a Christmas wreath next year, I can just pull out the box with the ribbons, etc in it.  If I want to get out the Christmas dishtowels, pot holders, runners, napkins, mugs and coasters , they are in a plastic container by themselves.

I'm also glad that my wrapping supplies are not so messy!  

This closet is not a big one, but its perfect for storing our Christmas stuff.!



4 comments:

Denise said...

Looks great, I am sure it feels even better......I am inspired to get down in my spare room and organize my Christmas stuff, it is currently sitting on a table waiting to be put away, what better time to organize! Looking forward to more of your organizing posts.

Auntie M said...

Debbie, I love it! And, it is impressive.
When can you come to our house and help me do the same?

Happy New Year to you and Hubby.

Tori Leslie said...

I still haven't taken my stuff down since we leave it till 3 kings day but I really need to do what you did and throw some stuff out. It all looks very organized. Bravo.

Little Penpen said...

You were busy and very SMART. It looks great. I'm a 'stuff retriever' too. If I don't carry it straight to Goodwill, it makes it way back into my stash. LOL

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...