Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Soup Bowl Koozies - Gift Idea

One of the quilt shops we visited on our recent mountain trip gave me a free pattern for soup bowl koozies.   All you need are two 10 1/2 inch squares of fabric and a 10 inch square of quilt batting.  Add some darts and a couple of straight quilting lines and its done.



Your soup bowl fits down in it while being microwaved.  Then you can easily pick the hot bowl up using the koozie, and in my case, take  it to the couch to eat in front of the tv.  The koozie protects your hands from the heat of the bowl while you eat the soup.  Even if you aren't microwaving the soup and are just getting it out of a pot on the stove or crock pot, the koozie would make eating a hot bowl of soup more pleasant.... and cozy!  They are completely washable and dryable, so any spills would be no problem.


I made these three as gifts to take my coworkers as a thank you gift for covering for me while on vacation.


These are easy to make and would make nice Christmas gifts, especially if a bowl was included with them.  I found THIS YOU TUBE VIDEO if you want to make some.   If I were still buying teacher's gifts, these would definitely be on the list.  I plan to make a few more for some of the people on my list.

9 comments:

Impera Magna said...

What a great idea! I've been using a pot holder for hot soup bowls... but these are much nicer!

Thanks for sharing the video link! Love the ones you made...

:)

Kathryn D. Duke said...

Catching up...your new stained glass find is lovely and you have a perfect place to show it!!! And you ladder for displaying is something I couvert...am slowly redorating my sewing room amd want a ladder too..we'll see.

Happy Thanksgiviing!!!

Rhonda said...

This is a new idea to me and a good one. I have also used a potholder but the koozies are much nicer. Glad you shared them.

Little Penpen said...

Great idea! You don't know how many times I've wrapped a dish towel around my bowl for eating! ;)

Terri said...

What a cute idea! I love them.

Mom2fur said...

I've never seen anything like that. What a terrific idea! Think I'll make some for Christmas presents.

Thanks for your nice comment on my crocheted mandala. I bet the baby hats you make are darling!


Auntie M said...

Priceless!! Think that I will see if I can figure out how to make one.

Meggie said...

Where do you find all these cute ideas? I watched the YouTube...thanks so much for the link.

Unknown said...

I got the pattern for this soup bowl koozie at one of the local quilt shops about 3 years ago and I have made over 100 of these. I have given them as gifts to my family and friends and they all love them. Sold a few to my neighbor to give to her co-workers for Christmas gifts. It is fun to pick fabric that fits a person's hobby, favorite food or sports team.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...