Monday, July 8, 2013

Mama's Vintage Bread Box

We are still cleaning out Mama's house and what an adventure it has been! Lots of hard work, sprinkled with a few tears, memories and rewards.  I feel like this labor of love is something we are doing for our Mama.  She's right there with us.

Saturday, one brother was cleaning out an old wooden cabinet located under the carport and ran across another treasure. I don't remember this bread box at all and I am estimating that it is from the late 1940s to 1950s. The lid was pretty beat up and rusty, but the rest of it was in good condition. 

Beside it in this picture is a vintage metal sand bucket, found in the attic.
 
Before picture of vintage breadbox.

And what else would a mother store in an old bread box?  Of course!  Sewing patterns!


Yes, I did wear clothes like these and in fact remember wearing two of these outfits to school in the 5th grade.


I think the flowers on the front are beautiful.


Yesterday afternoon, after emptying the box, I decided to work on the lid.  I sanded it and wiped off the rust dust with a soft cloth.  Then I taped newspaper sheets on the floral sections to protect them from paint.  I already had a can of red spray paint.  It looks much better, but still retains that chippy, rusty, vintage look.

After the lid was painted.

I am planning to incorporate it into our farmhouse décor, along with some other vintage items that belonged to Mama.  I've been studying blogs and Pinterest for ideas.  Some other things of Mama's that will work with it are her flour sifter, rolling pins, small wooden bowl, wooden handled kitchen utensils, her biscuit cutter, iron frying pans and some vintage bowls. A future post!

I'm linking to NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY at Coastal Charm.

8 comments:

TN Quiltbug said...

You did an amazing job on that lid! Can't believe how much better it looks--yet it still looks original! :)

Auntie M said...

I look forward to seeing what you do with these things. Wonder what will happen to all these patterns that are in my sewing room? And, all that stuff in my attic and basement.

Alexandra said...

Her breadbox came out beautifully! Wonderful treasure. :)

Impera Magna said...

What a treasure you have there! And I love there were sewing patterns stored in the box... what a walk down memory lane...

Debby said...

How wonderful to be able to have a piece of your Mom all around the house! The bread box is pricless, how fun to have something so cute and full of sweet memories

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful - great work on the lid! What a special treasure. I love incorporating things from my loved ones into my decor - especially in the kitchen.

Little Penpen said...

Oh how sweet!! I love the bread box and the lid looks wonderful. And to think you found your little girl dress patterns! How awesome is that? I love that vintage sand bucket, too. Very collectable. You have truly found treasures in your mom's attic.

Kathryn D. Duke said...

I just love the bread box and it is perfect for the patterns...

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...