Thursday, June 27, 2013

Recycling a Potato Chip Bag into a Baby Toy

We've all seen how much babies love to get hold of a newspaper or other crinkly paper. Of course, we run over and take it away from them immediately!  There are several tutorials on line for how to make a crinkly tag toy for babies.  Here are pictures of how I made one for my grandson using a recycled potato chip bag.

I retrieved an empty bbq potato chip bag from the trash.


I cut it open and washed the inside with a soapy dishcloth,rinsed it well and dried it.




Then I layered two pieces of flannel, right sides together with the ribbon loops laid between and a piece of the potato chip bag cut the same size on top.  I sewed a 1/2 inch seam all around, leaving an opening for turning.  Then you clip the corners and VERY CAREFULLY turn the toy right side out.  This was a very delicate process and you have to take your time, because the paper wants to tear at the opening.


Once I got it turned right side out I stitched around the edge, double stitching each ribbon loop.  The bag is safely enclosed inside the toy and neither the bag or the loops can come off. 

You can make this any size you want.  I made mine from scraps and the size was determined by the size of the scraps.

It turned out really cute and baby Walt can safely make that crinkly paper sound all he wants!


2 comments:

Debby said...

What a great idea!!

Little Penpen said...

Love the crinkly paper idea!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...