Monday, April 1, 2013

Treasure Hunt!

My grandson loves all things about pirates and treasure. So, we didn't have just an ordinary egg hunt at our house, we had a real treasure hunt!

We made a homemade treasure box and 100 year old map.


The map had all the things a real 100 year old treasure map would have:  a compass rose, starting point, landmarks, red X showing where the treasure can be found and wrinkles and raggedy edges.  HERE are the instructions for making a 100 year old treasure map.


The treasure box was an old tackle box that we sprayed with just a little gold paint and decorated with some stick on jewels.  Inside we placed lots of "shiny" things.  I raided a drawer that contained old watches that had no monetary value, old costume jewelry, etc.  We put in a few old coins and other odd treasure.


With some help, my grandson followed the map, stopping at landmarks such as a red chair, birdhouses, a flower pot, the red truck, the meadow and more. At each landmark there was a bright shiny egg. After finding each egg he would move on to the next landmark.


Finally after much running around with giggling and happiness, the treasure was found under some twigs.


Our boy was very happy and had a great time!


After the treasure hunt, we then had a traditional egg hunt.


I hope my grandson will always remember the treasure hunt and Easter egg hunt that he had at Grandma's house when he was a little boy.

8 comments:

Terri said...

Debbie, you are a wonderful grandmother! What a special thing to do for him.

FeatherDuster said...

What a fun idea!

Auntie M said...

How priceless!! Save this idea for Walt when he is old enough.

ancient one said...

I hope he remembers... you are such a goood grandmother!

Impera Magna said...

What a great idea! Makes for a fun time... maybe a new tradition at your house?

Little Penpen said...

A treasure hunt to remember!! sweet!

Mom2fur said...

I bet he had the time of his life! What a clever idea, and I bet it was more fun than hunting for just eggs!

Rita said...

I like to imagine the sparkle in his eyes when he opened his treasure chest. :) What a wonderful grandmother you are.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...