Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Southern February

An old fashioned Nandina bush, showing its winter colors.



I think one reason I like Winter so much is that it usually isn't all that severe in my neck of the woods. Every now and then we do have some snow and/or ice. Not this year! I know it's not over yet, but its not looking like any severely cold weather will hit.

If our winter has been this warm, I can only imagine how warm the summer will be....

So in an effort to enjoy the season, you know, "carpe diem", the hunt for color in the yard continues:

A Quince bush with the bare naked Crepe Myrtles in the background.



Up close...



Some purple...



In the summer a weed, in the winter, a flower!

This picture was taken on the spur of the moment as I was stepping over a brick wall at a church cemetery. I love the detail of the leaves. There is no telling how far these leaves traveled on the wind to land here because there is no oak tree nearby that I can remember.



One more close up of the Quince blooms!



Isn't it amazing that some kind of color can be found in the outdoors year round, if you take the time to look closely?

7 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Beautiful photos of lovely blooms... let's hope a nasty cold snap doesn't sneak up on us!

Terri said...

I wish we had that much color here! Unfortunately, it's mostly drab brown with a bit of green and maybe a red berry or two here or there. It's amazing that you have flowers down there in February!

Auntie M said...

Neat pictures, Debbie. It surely is a strange winter.

ancient one said...

Lovely pictures ... every spot of color is welcome... I have daffodils blooming.

Susannah said...

Your pictures are great but I love the two quince pictures. Gorgeous!

L said...

So pretty to see such spring-like signs of life already. I am sure seeing all your pretty plants starting to bloom makes you smile.

Grandma Linda's Daydreams said...

It was very kind of you to let the couple in to see the home, and your in return were blessed by his memories and now you know some of your home's history. I am often tempted to stop at my old house, the one where I raised my children, and I wonder if they would receive me as well as you did.
I love your flowering quince and I imagine the crepe myrtles are gorgeous when in bloom! We only started seeing them grow a lot, up north in recent years. They must have produced some hardier varieties.
I am following your delightful blog today!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Linda from Grandmalay's Daydreams

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...