Friday, August 6, 2010

More Farmhouse Garden Magic

Last Spring I noticed three separate plants with green spike like leaves growing around the farmhouse. I researched them in books and on the internet and thought they were Crinum Lillies, which is an old fashioned Southern pass along plant. But... everybody else's Crinum Lillies bloomed several weeks ago. I had given up on these plants, thinking they were just some kind of green plant that didn't bloom.

Well a few days ago I noticed these buds forming!



And then this progression...



More research is in order to know exactly what the name of these lillies are, but for now I am calling them my "candy stripe lillies"

*** Edited to say that these are Crinum Lillies after all. HERE IS A LINK. What do you think? Are they the same?

12 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Debbie, they are beautiful. That farm house magic is also extra special little blessings... just for YOU.

Denise said...

What a nice little summer garden treat.

Rita said...

What a nice surprise! They are beautiful.

Rhonda said...

My inlaws gave us bulbs like these.
According to Southern Living, they are crinums.
the bulbs can get as big as volleyball, they reproduce quickly, can bloom all summer and take very little care.

Amy said...

Such a wonderful gift to receive from the earth :)

L said...

How nice to get so many little garden surprises at your new home. They are quite pretty with the pink stripe!

Granny said...

They're the same and they're gorgeous. I call them candy stripes too as that's what they remind me of, the old fashioned penny candy. That was a nice surprise.

Susan said...

Gorgeous lilies!!! You have such a beautiful yard!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say Hi! What fun it must be to discover what and where plants are growing! Enjoy the rest of summer.
Coleen

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
How beautiful. They do look like Candy Canes. I just love pictures of your yard.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

ancient one said...

They are pretty. I don't think I have ever seen these before. Thanks for sharing them.

Deanna said...

This is why they say patience is a virtue.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...