Saturday, May 8, 2010

Memorizing Scripture


One Saturday morning a couple of weeks ago I was inspired to start memorizing scripture. I started by writing down some verses that I wanted to memorize and kept going over the words off and on all day. I didn't quite remember them perfectly, so I kept studying them all week. I found myself thinking about what the words meant, looking them up in different Bible translations, and trying to apply them to my life. I found that the verses really stuck with me and it was like God had "written them on my heart"!

I am the kind of person that doesn't remember details well. I have read a good portion of the Bible, but the details just don't seem to stick with me. For me, it seems that memorizing scripture and dwelling on a few verses for a week, or more, is really working as a Bible study tool. I am very happy to have discovered that this method of Bible Study works for me! I have memorized short Bible verses before in my life, but didn't really study them, and sadly, soon forgot them.

Maybe this is a good example of how quality wins out over quantity. I would not get nearly as much out of trying to read the Bible in a year and that kind of thing. My personal Bible study style requires me to dwell on one portion of the Bible for a few days, or more (!) until it really is written on my heart.

So this is how I am doing this type of Bible study:

1. I am reading through books by Christian women authors, such as those by Elizabeth George and Kristin Armstrong, to find Scripture references that apply to me in this time of my life. It helps if you are memorizing scripture that has special meaning for you.

2. Then I find the scripture in my Bible and copy it down into a journal. This journal was only a Dollar at the Dollar Tree. I put the date at the top and then I will have a record of all the scripture that I have memorized, as well as a reference to refresh my memory of the verses, as I am sure I will not remember them as well as I would like. I am a frail human being, after all!

3. I then leave the journal in the area I am working in and around the house so I can check to see what the next words are and how I am doing with remembering them. The journal goes with me back and forth to work all week , so I can work on the memorization.

4. The more I study the verses, the more they come to my mind and I start applying them to my life, without really thinking about it. They are in my heart, not just in my mind.

These are the verses I have memorized recently:

Ephesians 5:15-17 (Time Management)
1 Peter 3:3-4 (The unfading Beauty of a Gentle and Quiet Spirit)
Proverbs 14:1 (Build your house, don't tear it down)

Today I am starting a week of memorizing and studying Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (Love God with all your heart, soul and might and think about it all the time, write it on your doors and gates!)

I need to write some scripture on post it notes to help me in the memorization and also to follow the instructions in DT 6:4-9!

I would also love to hear what your definition of a "Gentle and Quiet Spirit" is. For me it means to calm myself so that I don't react to situations the wrong way, to think before I speak, speak carefully and to be more understanding and forgiving of others' faults. What do you think it means?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
What a wonderful idea. So many time the verses I have in my head and heart have pulled me through a rough spot. I too am working on having more of a quiet and gentle spirit.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

What a blessing it was to read this post this morning! I, too, have a hard time with detail and memorizing things but this looks like a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing. And I love your definition of a Gentle and Quiet Spirt" I had never really thought about what it really meant before. I might just have to do a deeper study with it - and apply it to my life.
Thanks again! Have a great day!
Lisa :o)

Little Penpen said...

I struggle with memorizing anything these days. I've been wanting to memorize more scripture and find it is much harder at this age, than it was as a child. I write the verses on a card and try to keep it with me and bring it during the day. I am trying to be a gentle and quiet spirit... I have a tendency to babble many unneccessary words. I'm trying to control my chatter and listen more.

DarcyLee said...

What a wonderful idea, Debbie. There isn't anything better to memorize than God's Word. You have inspired me today. Meek and quiet is something many of us women have a hard time with. In our society we are encouraged too often to speak our minds and give our opinions. Great food for thought.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say Happy Mother's Day!

Coleen

Terri said...

Happy Mother's Day, Debbie!

Debbie J said...

Hope you all had a great Mother's Day too!!!

Brett said...

Hi Debbie,

I came across your encouraging post and want to share a scripture memory resource with you. http://scripturetyper.com is a website I built back in January to help myself and others memorize scripture more easily. You memorize verses by typing them; first while looking, then with every other word hidden, and finally without looking at all. You can also sync it up with your blog so your memory verses are displayed on your side panel, by just adding the blog widget. I hope this is a helpful tool for you!

Blessings,

Brett

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...