Thursday, July 16, 2009

Debbie's Chicken Cacciatore


I have been on the look out for new recipes to help use up some of our garden bounty. So here's my own recipe that uses up a couple of zucchini, bell pepper and onions. I already had everything else in the pantry! AND it turned out good. I think my son actually ate some zucchini when I served this for supper last night.

DEBBIE'S CHICKEN CACCIATORE

Ingredients:

3 split chicken breasts cut into two pieces each. Use what ever chicken you have, about 2 pounds or more, depending on your family size.

2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 medium onion, sliced into rings
1/2 to 1 whole medium sweet bell pepper, cut into strips
2 medium zucchini, sliced into rings.
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 can or jar of spaghetti sauce with mushrooms (I used Hunts which is less than $1.00 a can at Walmart)
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 3 cloves garlic, chopped
Oregano and Basil to taste (Sorry, I didn't measure the oregano and basil, just sprinkled some in:O)

Salt and pepper to taste

Any kind of pasta to serve the chicken cacciatore over.

You will need a LARGE frying pan with a lid if you make the whole recipe or you can transfer it to a big pot after browning the chicken and veggies.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken pieces on each side until lightly browned. Remove the chicken to a plate and then saute the veggies until slightly cooked, about 10 or 15 minutes. Drain off any excess oil. Return the chicken to the pan with the veggies and add all of the other ingredients. Cover the pan and reduce the heat of the burner so that the chicken is cooking on a high simmer. Stir occasionally. My pan was so full I could hardly stir it, so next time I will transfer this to a large pot for the simmering process! After 30 or 45 minutes the chicken and veggies will be tender. Serve over cooked pasta.

3 comments:

C. C. said...

Hi Debbie!

Your receipe looks good. One always needs a receipe that uses zucchini without anyone actually knowing that it is zucchini. Sometimes I wonder what it was like 130 years ago when the people had a year when the gardens didn't do well (everything but, of course, the zucchini plant!) I suppose you learned real fast not to complain about the "bounty"!

Have a nice week-end!

C. C.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
This looks so good.
Thanks for sharing,
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Ms Jackie's Junque said...

Hi Debbie!

I found your blog this afternoon through A Home With A Smile. I'm so glad I did! You are a wonderful homemaker--your family is very blessed!

My husband and I vacation every year in the Smoky Mountains too!Cades Cove is one of our favorite things to see/do! We always get big bags of sunflower seeds and eat them on the long ride out there. (We also went there on our honeymoon-almost 19 years ago).

Again, so nice to meet you! I'll be checking back for frugal inspiration--I need a little help in that department! :O)

Jackie

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...