Thursday, June 18, 2009

This is my newest birthday cake. I decided to put the birthday girl's initials on there. The flower and the initials were made using stencils and colored sugar.



This cake is far... really far from being of professional quality. But, I have learned a few things. 1. How to slice off the rounded top part of the layers to make the cakes lay flat. 2. The frosting needs to be stiffer for the shell borders to look their best. 3. How to use a hot knife to smooth out the frosting.

Yes, I am learning from my mistakes!

This is a cake carrier my stepdaughter gave me for Christmas. She is the same person whose birthday is tomorrow. Isn't' it cute?



I tried to make the little packages shown in yesterday's post. Not... too... good.



More practice with the shell borders:



Saturday I will make a Father's Day cake.

8 comments:

Rita said...

Your cake is so cute! You've done such a nice job. Wilton use to have evening cake decorating classes so maybe there are some Utube videos on line? I really liked doing this when my children were small. I think you are giving me the "cake decorating bug." To try again.

Little Penpen said...

You are getting GOOD! The birthday girl will be so happy. I love your cake keeper with the J on it.... so cool!

Anonymous said...

I really like the stencil on the cake. Turned out really cute!

The cake keeper will come in handy to carry all of those pretty cakes your making!

Melinda

Susan said...

It turned out GREAT!!!! You'll be able to say someday that you know "X" amount of ways NOT to decorate a cake! LOL And you're learning more and more.

DarcyLee said...

How cute your cake is and I really love the cake keeper. You are doing so many cakes right now that you will keep getting better and better. Practice really does make perfect. Keep at it! I'm looking forward to your father's day cake.

ancient one said...

Debbie, I am impressed... beautiful... you are learning so quickly...

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,

I think you're doing a great job. I also did the videos and taught myself. This was years ago though.

That cake carrier is super cute!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful cake and blog!
Blessings!!!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...