Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Only Plant Zucchini If You Have Lots of Friends.....



I've heard it said that you should only plant zucchini if you have lots of friends.... so my friends have started sharing their bounty already this summer!

There are only so many ways to cook them and I have already sauteed them, breaded and fried them. There are also squash casserole recipes to be used. I Googled Zucchini Bread Recipes and came up with the following, which I have tweaked to make my own. The taste reminds me of banana bread. It is wonderful heated in the microwave with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Zucchini Bread Recipe

Makes 2 loaves.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans, etc.)

1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 or 9 x 4 inch pans, preheat oven to 325 degrees

2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon together in a bowl.

3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla and sugars together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.

4. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pans and completely cool.

We had a bumper crop of pecans this past winter and so we have a good supply of them in our freezer. I cracked and picked out enough for this recipe in just a few minutes.

The zucchini grate very easily just using a hand held grater that I have had for years. The batter may seem a little dry to you, but after you add the zucchini and any liquid that comes out when you grate them, it is very moist. The final product is very moist and tasty! This bread is great while still warm and freezes well for a future treat.

How do you use zucchini at your house?

4 comments:

Terri said...

I love zucchini bread and zucchini but unfortunately, I'm the only one in the family who does so I've given up planting it. I just wait for the overflow that comes from friend's gardens when they have so much they don't know what to do with it!

DarcyLee said...

We love zucchini at our house but I've never grown it before. I've shredded and frozen it before, though, to use in breads and muffins.

ancient one said...

We have never planted it... one year we brought some home from PA from my son's neighbor's garden.. I sliced, battered and fried them like "fried green tomatoes"... (that's what I try with anything I've never had before... like eggplant, etc..) That was good... but then my SIL gave me some Zucchini bread that she had made... delicious!!!

Alexandra said...

I love zucchini bread! I'm low carbing, but I'll have to look up some recipes with this veggie.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...