Friday, May 9, 2008

Frugal Friday - No Shopping for Two Weeks

I have made the decision that I am not going back to the grocery store for two weeks! No matter what we run out of, we're going to make do. I'm going to allow us one trip, maybe for milk and bread. (or Doritos?!!) LOL

In a couple of posts this week I posted about menu planning and have decided to make a list of meals, enough to last two weeks and a grocery list of the foods I need for two weeks, after taking into account what I already have in my pantry and freezer. I've already spotted some good deals at Food Lion this week, which will be great for stretching our meals!

I've seen other bloggers who had Pantry Challenges, to see how long they could eat from their pantry and freezer before going to the grocery store. My own daughter does this from time to time. My challenge is make do for two weeks.

Who says there is a rule that you have to go to the grocery store every week, even when there is perfectly good food available already?

Ok, think of it this way: If there was a gas shortage so severe that only emergency driving were allowed, what would you buy at the grocery store?

I don't have a grocery store located near my home that I can run into often.... However, its not only the money saved in gas, it the time thing. I do want to feed my family well, but does this mean I have to go the grocery store every week or as in our case some times several times a week? This takes away valuable time from being at home taking care of my family in other ways.

My hope is that after becoming successful at only grocery shopping every two weeks, I can stretch this to a month, or more. Next week I will post my menu for the week and keep you posted on how we do "not going grocery shopping for two weeks". This will be a good discipline for me in self-control!

For more Frugal ideas, visit Biblical Womanhood.

5 comments:

Sonshine said...

You can do it!!! I can't wait to read about your adventure. :)

I am doing well with my pantry/using stockpile challenge, so far I have only had to spend about $81 for two weeks rather than $150/week for food,paper,HBC, and household items.

Enjoy your weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

I've done this too! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!! I am looking forward to reading how everything goes for you. I am a new reader to your blog. I love looking at all the things that you sew...just beautiful! Good luck with your 2 week challenge! God Bless!

Rhonda said...

2 weeks would be hard for me now but I used to always do it. When DH was a Marine and got paid twice a month, we would only go shopping near payday. I also had 3 babies in 3 years and never took them all for a bit shopping trip.

Now, I work 50 yards from a SuperWalmart and for awhile, I had an expensive habit of shopping there way too often, - you know- go in for milk and tomatoes and end up spending $50.

But since I set that $100 a week budget, I do much better. And if I do make a mid-week trip to Walmart, I stay with my list.

Best wishes to you!

Tracy said...

Wow, all the best with this idea. I have tried it a couple of times and came to a crash & burn end! However, I know I need to tighten up on the grocery shopping after putting all my receipts onto my tracking spreadsheet!

My challenge right now is to diligently start to stockpile a little more. It's not something I do because our sales are never good enough to warrant it. But with food prices the way they are I can finally see the positives in it.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...