Sometimes cooking can be drudgery, especially when I don't plan well. I can get caught up in the hustle and bustle of my days and forget what its all about. Last week I was very unprepared and although we had plenty to eat, there wasn't much joy in the process!
I am being more prepared and organized this week, Praise the Lord!
This morning before work I made lasagna for tonight's meal. When I get home I'll make salad and bake some crescent rolls or garlic toast.
As I was busily trying to get the lasagna together at 6:00 A.M. this morning I thought about how much my guys like lasagna, salad and bread and how nice it would be to have it almost on the table by the time I got home. I could just feel my love for all 3 of them going into that lasagna!
So my Kitchen Tip for today is to cook with love. These are some ideas:
1. Of course, plan ahead.
2. When you are cooking think of it as an act of service to those you love. You are cooking for them as if you were cooking for the Lord.
3. Try to cook nutritious meals that will benefit their health and well being.
4. Try to cook at least one thing at every meal that each person likes.
5. The presentation of the food can make it more special. On a week night, try candles, cloth napkins, and your best dishes.
6. Our boys like to eat AT ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT, either because they just like to or because their work/school schedules dictate when they eat. We almost always have food available they can just microwave. My hubby makes plates for them and puts their names on it so when they come home and open the fridge, they have their own personalized food. How special is that!!!? I think they will look back on this season of their life and remember how they always had food they liked.
7. I make my son's lunch that he takes to work. I don't have to do this. After all he is almost 21 years old. But I WANT to do it. It helps him a lot and I can show him my love that way. I always put in foods he likes. He really appreciates this extra effort by me and always thanks me.
I think that if we think of cooking as an expression of our love and as a service to our loved ones, it won't be such drudgery after all!
For more Kitchen Tips, visit Tammy's Recipes!