Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Kitchen Tip Tuesday

We have a few recipes that we enjoy which use skinless, boneless chicken breasts. However, the price of these is high, even on sale. When they are on sale for a good price, I usually purchase some and freeze them.

But, sometimes the split chicken breasts are on sale for 89 or 99 cents a pound in our area. They are usually huge and work well boiled and used in casseroles.

One good way to stretch the chicken breasts is to very carefully slice the good boneless breast meat from the bone, remove the skin, and cut the white meat into the size you want.

Then boil the bony pieces you have left, which will still contain a lot of white meat. After the bony pieces have cooked, remove them and pick off all the remaining chicken and return to the broth.

You could make some delicious chicken noodle soup, or freeze the broth for future recipes. My Mama will use chicken broth in her dressing on Thanksgiving. Also here in the South, I could use this broth to make Chicken N Pastry! Yum!

This is one good way to eliminate waste and still get the best cut of meat.

I have several packages of the split chicken breasts in my freezer bought on sale. Yesterday before work I placed 3 breasts on a plate on the counter to thaw. I wouldn't normally thaw them on the counter, but they are so big I knew they would not completely thaw before I got home. When I got home they were still partially frozen, but thawed enough to handle. I sliced away the good white meat and cut the pieces into chicken tenders.

Our supper was fried chicken tenders, rice with gravy and green beans. While the other food was cooking I boiled the bony pieces left over and it is in my fridge waiting to be used later this week!

I know, I know! There are many healthier recipes that use boneless chicken!

For more kitchen tips, be sure to visit http://www.tammysrecipes.com/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a GREAT TIP that I'll definitely have to try! Bone-in breasts are on sale all the time, while the boneless skinless ones not as often. Thanks!

Bobi Jensen said...

This is a good idea. I hadn't thought of it. Your dinner last night sounds yummy!

Susan said...

This is EXACTLY what I used to do with split chicken breasts when they would go on sale. Now, living in Canada, chicken is terribly expensive, so I buy the packages of frozen breasts when I shop once a month at Wal Mart in the States. Believe me, those bags are a bargain compared to prices here, about 1/4 the price.

Little Penpen said...

I used to work with a girl who saved all her chicken wings, necks, etc. in a plastic container in the freezer. When her container got full, she would boil all the chicken "parts" and make a huge pot of chicken and rice soup. Her family loved it, as they could eat on it for days.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...