Friday, November 30, 2007

Frugal Friday

Can you tell the difference?

I bought these 4 baby outfits at various shops. Three came from thrift shops. One came from a retail store. Can you pick which one is brand new?



















Especially once the retail baby outfit is washed and dried a few times, I don't think you could tell the difference.

So my Frugal Friday tip for this week is this:

There are lots of ways to be frugal without sacrificing your quality of life. In fact many of the things considered frugal make your quality of life better. And it can actually be fun!

When I go to thrift shops, there are lots of things there I wouldn't buy no matter how cheap they were. But if you are patient and look carefully, you can get some really cute items. You do have to be selective!

For more Frugal Friday Tips, go to Biblical Womanhood!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are so right about thrift stores...and there is nothing like picking up great-quality clothes for great second-hand prices!

I'm glad to have found your blog...it looks like we have some of the same book interests! Anne Ortlund and Emilie Barnes are two of my favorite authors, and my great big 3-vol. Tightwad Gazette is almost worn to pieces. :) I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog.

Little Penpen said...

Baby clothes hardly ever get worn out. All the outfits you bought look brand new. Your beautiful grandbaby will be adorable in his new outfits.

Anonymous said...

I am a die-hard thrifter and yard saler! The yellow ducky outfit (#2) looks the newest to me so I would guess that is the retail buy. Also, the other outfits are a couple of years old in the style wave (I know because I have some of those outfits that I bought at yard sales a year ago for my new baby boy!)

Mom2fur said...

I was going to vote for the yellow outfit, too! Maybe because yellow is such a bright color, it looks newer?
I never find anything for me at thrift stores, but I always see cute baby things. They really do grow out of them so fast that they hardly have time to wear out!

Carrie J said...

My sister in law always bought expensive matching dresses for her daughters. It wasn't unusual for her to spend $100 on a dress. The funny thing is she really didn't have the money to do that. She would pass them down to my daughters. I put them next to the dresses I had bought at thrift stores and yard sales and I never could tell the difference between the $100 dollar dress and $10
dress from a yard sale. It makes no sense at all to pay that kind of
money for kid's clothes. IMO.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...