Saturday, October 20, 2007

Saturday Sewing

Today I have made a to-do list that has so many things on it, there's no way to do it all. But I can think big, can't I?

I plan to do the "work" part this morning which includes laundry, bathroom cleaning, mopping, vacuuming, cooking, putting things in the attic, bookkeeping for hubby's business, and serious deep cleaning of our bedroom.

My sweetie is buying some groceries. I made him a list based on sale items and sent coupons with him.

In the afternoon I want to pay a little visit to my elderly neighbor across the road, who I know is lonely and could use a visit. She sits on her porch and sees all our comings and goings. I have some devotional books that I purchased at a library book sale with her in mind that I would like to deliver.

Now for my sewing plans!

I am going to start on a Fall and Winter pocketbook. I decided to use some of the 60s vintage/retro fabric in my latest gift box of fabric, that I posted a picture of yesterday. At first I thought it was ugly, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Last night I washed it and the lining fabric (also in the free box) and dryed them.

This is what the fabric looks like. The brown, orange and teal in it are great fall colors. This fabric is kind of stiff and thick which is great for a pocketbook. I don't know what the fabric content is, but it washed VERY well. It will definitely be a one of a kind pocketbook, although I have enough of the fabric to make two!



If you click on the picture to make it bigger you can read the writing on the selvage that says: House N Home Fabrics and Draperies, Inc. Guaranteed to be Vct Prints Preshrunk-Residual shrinkage does not exceed 3% Test CCCT 191A Screen Print.

I plan to use quilt batting in the outer panels and machine quilt a grid design on them. The lining fabric is a matching brown and I plan to include an inner pocket made of the outer fabric. The top will have a button loop closure.

This is the pocketbook I use now. I have thoroughly enjoyed it all summer, but I think its time to put it away until next Spring! I like the way I can clip my cell phone on the end of it and when I am trying to get stuff out of it, it stands up straight. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it has handles and not shoulder straps.



My new pocketbook will have nice long straps so I can just wear it over my shoulder when grocery shopping instead of having to place it in the child's seat part of the grocery cart and buckleing it in with the child safety seat belt!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

POCKETBOOKS, POCKETBOOKS! WHAT ABOUT MY TUMMY HIDING VEST? OR, MY WILD AND CRAZY TIE, OR TIES? JUST PICKING, LOVE PAPA JACK

Anonymous said...

Hi pretty Debbie,
I plan to do a little cooking today but mostly just sit and hand sew. I have a set of tea towels I am working on.
Happy Sewing,
Elizabeth

Little Penpen said...

I LOVE the vintage fabric and it will make a great pocketbook! The fabric reminds me of the very popular "Amy Butler" fabric seen everywhere these days! Every young girl will be green with envy when they see your new bag!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...