Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Blue Paper Shorts and Witch's Noses

Now, that's an attention grabbing title, isn't it?   Hang on and you'll see where I'm going with this.

It turns out that what I thought was a wart on my nose was actually a Basal Cell Carcinoma.  Not dangerous, but something that had to be taken care of.    This particular one was located on the little piece of skin between my nostrils.  This complicated things a little, because the area is so small.  Needles for numbing the pain in that area are quite painful too....

Any how.... on Monday I had the growth removed and as recommended by the doctor, had a skin graft done over the little spot.  Here's where the witch's nose part comes in.  The sweet little nurse did such a good job of bandaging up my nose that it looks just like a witch's nose.  I couldn't have done a better job if I was trying to dress up for Halloween!  If you add the witch's nose to the bandage on the side of my face near my left ear where the doctor obtained the skin for the skin graft, I look really strange.

We stopped to pick up lunch and make a bathroom visit on the way home from the doctor's appointment.  As luck would have it, the restaurant was packed and finding the bathroom took me right through the crowd.  How embarrassing!

This, my friend, is very humbling.  Not to mention itchy and uncomfortable.  I have to wear it for a week.  I am planning to stay home until then.  I feel really silly staying home from work but its just too uncomfortable physically and humiliating, mentally.   Thank goodness its a slow work week, with Christmas and New Years winding down.

In situations like this its important to remember Proverbs 31:25   "She is clothed with strength  and dignity.....".  Because I didn't feel dignified at all on the outside, but God sees what's on the inside.

After the restaurant experience, we stopped at the drugstore to have antibiotic and pain killer prescriptions filled.  I definitely stayed in the car this time, but found myself watching the people coming in and out of the store.  I think maybe the Lord put some very strange looking people in my view that day because some of them were quite "different" looking.  I found myself sizing them up based on their appearance, when I knew absolutely nothing about any of these people!  I already know better than to do this, but it was a good reminder to remember that every single person you see has dignity and that God sees what's on the inside, not the outward appearance.  Even those with witch's nose bandages!!! 

This experience reminded me of a funny story about blue paper shorts.  When my hubby gets X-Rays in connection with his knee replacement surgery, he has to put on these blue paper shorts.  We get a laugh out of this, especially since they are "Carolina Blue" and we prefer "NC State Red".  But, I especially love the story I read in a book by Beth Moore, called "So Long Insecurity".   In the story she, too, was getting X-Rays in connection with her bad knees and had to wear the blue paper shorts.  BUT, she wore very high heels that day and had to walk around the halls and wait in a crowded waiting room in the very roomy blue paper shorts while wearing high heels.  LOL!

We have to laugh at ourselves and the situations we sometimes find ourselves in, don't we?  I placed way too much importance on what the people in the crowded restaurant thought of me.

I also have to remember how fortunate I am that my growth was not Melanoma and that I only have to be in this witch's nose predicament for a week. 

Coincidentally,  there are several kindle books by Beth Moore that are free right now.  I haven't read any of these particular ones, but I thoroughly enjoyed the one I referred to in this post.  If you are interested, here are the links:

When Godly People Do Ungodly Things

Believing God

The Beloved Disciple

To Live is Christ

I hope you have a wonderful 2014 with many blessings..... and don't forget to wear sunscreen....

6 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Aw, Debbie, glad your lesions were treatable. As I was reading, I was waiting for the picture!! LOL Enjoyed this post a lot. I'm going to check out those books. Happy New Year!

Auntie M said...

Neat post, Debbie. I am so glad that you have had the growth removed. Just think, the week will soon be half over!!!

Also, I just ordered the first two of the Beth Moore books.

Hope you and Hubby have a good day and a terrific 2014. Eat those black eyes and greens, you hear!!!

Impera Magna said...

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well... and do understand the "weird bandage" thing since I've had two surgeries to remove skin cancers in the past. Thankfully, those weren't the bad kind...

Felt like an idiot going to work with the big ole bandage covering the spot to protect it... I made up a story about being in a bar fight... *lol* ...blaming the special ed teacher(s) for leading me astray.

Hope your healing goes smoothly! Happy 2014!


Janel said...

Hi Debbie! Happy New Year!
I'm so sorry about your minor surgery! I just finished praying for great results! This was an excellent post...I too will size people while waiting for things...I'm not proud :( I do tell the Lord that I am sorry for this many times! I enjoyed the part about the blue paper shorts...LOL! Good health and happiness to you and your family in 2014! Blessings, Janel in NJ

Debbie J said...

Thank you ladies!

Janel, thanks for the prayer!!!

Rita said...

Debbie,
Glad you are at home this week. After you spend a bit of recovery time maybe you can do a few things you have not had time for. My daughter had to have a lesion removed too. We found it stressful at the time but all turned out good. Many prayers going up for you.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...