Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring At The Office

I spend a good chunk of my time either at the office or commuting there and back home. Even though I would love to be a stay at home person, I have to admit that I have a good job. The bosses are very nice and my coworkers are sweet. Most of my duties are enjoyable. As for the things I don't like to do.... that's why they call it work, right?!!!

The small yard at my office is maintained by a local yard maintenance company. They do a great job, right down to planting annuals. The building is an old southern home.



The worst job I ever had was "barning tobacco" when I was growing up. My current job is a walk in the park compared to that! I bet some of you North and South Carolina readers who grew up in the South can identify with that!



My first real job was at a Woolco Department Store. I worked at the refund and exchange desk. That was not my favorite job either! I also answered the phone like this: "Thank you for calling Woolco, we want to be your favorite store, How can I help you". I worked there for a year when I was 18.



After that I worked for the North Carolina Department of Revenue, in the office of a sewing factory, and in an accountants office. I learned many things in the accounting office that have helped me in my current job and in my personal life. Being able to prepare your own taxes is a good thing!



My current job, which I have had for 24 years, is a paralegal/bookkeeper at a law firm in a small southern town. It can be quite interesting!



Spring has come to my corner of the world!

7 comments:

Rita said...

Debbie,
Thank you for sharing your office and such pretty flowers with us. I think the Carolina's are just so pretty. I even think of vacationing there some time. If I get to I hope to get in touch with you and having a snack in a coffee shop. It would be so much fun to meet you in person. Have a great day!

Meggie said...

I enjoyed your story this morning. I still have a job in the city, while living the country life. Two completely different worlds! I've also had many jobs, especially when I was young. My first job was at a department store, gift wrapping...Thanks for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
How pretty. I loved learning more about your job.
Blessings,
Elizabeth

Susannah said...

Hi Debbie....enjoyed reading about your jobs. Your current one is located in a great looking house. The flowers are magnificent! I am going this weekend to buy pansies. I forgot the name of the others????? Johnny-jump-ups? I think they are a perenial? Anyways, enjoyed your post.

Susannah

Impera Magna said...

I love it when firms and businesses turn run-down old bldngs/houses into spiffy new business quarters. It's a very good thing to preserve out historic bldngs!

ancient one said...

Enjoyed this post so much. Especially with all the pretty flowers. You've had an interesting work history. Barning tobacco was the nastiest job, wasn't it?

Auntie M said...

What a neat blog, Debbie. The grounds are beautiful around your "old southern home" office.

And, yes. I do remember those tobacco barning days. It was hard work, indeed. But, we did learn a lot.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...