Monday, August 10, 2009

Garden Bounty

We are still getting some great garden produce, even though we only planted a small amount of a few things. The challenge is to make use of them when you don't have much time for cooking! Its so much easier to choose convenience foods, but I'm really trying to use some of the garden veggies every single day. The secret is to use simple easy recipes.

My guys love fried okra. Yesterday I cooked a pan and then made a few pieces of fried cornbread to get the most use of the oil. By the way, isn't cooking oil expensive these days?!!!

Okra cooking in the frying pan:



My hubby spreads out the tomatoes on newspaper or a dishcloth to ripen. The little green ones you see on there were blown off in a storm.



Today our temperature will reach 100 degrees! I will not be walking during my lunch break today!

4 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Yes, girl it is going to be hot today in NC. I thought I had eaten my last tomato, as I stopped going to the grassy patch, formerly known as my garden, a few weeks ago. While my husband was mowing, he peeked in and brought me about 8 tomatoes from the old garden. Surprise!!! I was happy!

Alexandra said...

Yummy...my neighbor just brought over a bag of tomatoes.

Yes, same here over the border. Hot, hot! :)

Anonymous said...

You do make me hungry! Okra is so good. I am jealous.

Marjorie

Rhonda said...

wow! that is a lot of tomatoes.
We have not had fried okra this summer, I will have to rustle some up - too bad you are 5 or so states east of me.

yes, oil is much more expensive than it used to be.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...