Friday, May 22, 2009

The Mason Jar Project

About a month ago I posted about rooting roses using a mason jar. I find it interesting that the website I used for information on this project was called "Grandma's Mason Jar", since I was rooting my grandmother's rosebush. :o) You can read about "Grandma's Mason Jar HERE.

I'm happy to say the rose cuttings are alive and growing!

From this:



To this:



Those are Zinnia plants I planted from seeds growing in the soil around the rose cuttings.

The reason I am very happy about the success of the mason jar project is the fact that these cuttings originated from my grandmother's beloved rosebush. The one I previously had in this spot died due to a fire ant hill being built in the roots and also I think because the bush was very old. The house my grandmother lived in doesn't even exist any more, but luckily my mother still had a rosebush she rooted from Grandma's bush and I took these cuttings from that one. I plan to root even more cuttings to insure that our family always has a specimen of Grandma's rosebush.

3 comments:

Terri said...

They look wonderful, Debbie!

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

It looks like you were successful in rooting your cuttings. The one shown looks like it is healthy and doing well. What a special thing to do in keeping your grandmother's beloved rose bush going. Thanks for sharing

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Tori Leslie said...

Great! It's even more special that it was Grandmas.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...