Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesday - Copy Restaurant Meals

In our family we seldom eat out any more because of the expense and the way the economy is going these days. But, we love restaurant food. So I thought why not copy the restaurant food we love.

One example is to have a "Sub Night". I thought of all the things I would ask for on my sub if I were at Subway and then tried to copy that. I would get turkey, ham, shredded lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo and sweet onion sauce.

Voila!:



I purchased a package of ham and turkey, some shredded lettuce and some nice sub rolls. I already had some Ken's Sweet Onion Dressing I had purchased earlier with a $1.00 coupon when they were on sale at Food Lion for Buy One Get one Free. Just a little bit of this is exactly like the sweet onion sauce at Subway. We still have some tomatoes from the garden, so we sliced those. We already had plenty of cheese, mayo, mustard's and pickles, etc. on hand.



My sub was delicious!

As a side note, we now have lots of sandwich makings left for this week for everyone's lunch and perhaps another sub or two. I plan to make tacos tonight to use up some more of the shredded lettuce. The lettuce will go bad quickly, so I'm trying to use it up as soon as possible.

You could save even more money if you made your own sub rolls. Maybe next time I'll tackle that one!

So if you want to eat out, but can't afford it, think of a restaurant meal you can copy. There are also sites on the Internet that copy restaurant recipes. I have made the Pizza Hut pizza crust recipe before by finding it on the Internet. Just "google" your favorite restaurant food and see what comes up!

For more kitchen tips, please visit Tammy's Recipes!

10 comments:

Terri said...

What a cool idea. The internet makes this kind of thing so much easier now because there are literally thousands of recipes out there for almost anything you want to make.

Your sub looks delicious! :-)

Lynn said...

I love to copy recipes. You can find a lot of things on line just by searching the restaurant and the dish. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Debbie, this is a neat idea. We started this with copying Applebee salads. Particularly the Oriental Chicken salad. The sub sounded very good. marjorie

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great idea! We love trying to figure out ways to make the restaurant kind of goodies. My daughter loves Subway. I have a buffalo chicken bite recipe and a chicken fried steak recipe that our whole family loves among other things. :D

Anonymous said...

I love Applebee's & one dish from TGIFridays.

Anonymous said...

Not finished. I'll have to try and google those dishes. I didn't know that would work.

Anonymous said...

Your sandwich looks delicious!

Such a great suggestion. We can still give ourselves some of the things we enjoy, but with less money out of pocket.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Love your blog pic too.

Anonymous said...

That is a good idea. Thanks for sharing about the Onion Dressing. I never knew they made it. I have a bad habit of not looking for different items, just grabbing the same ole thing!

Little Penpen said...

I haven't done "sub night" in awhile, but it was always a big hit with the teenagers when I used to do that. My son loved it... he always would try to creat a masterpiece sub!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...