Tuesday, January 26, 2016

My Dream Weekend and a Sewing Machine Story

I hope all of you got through the big blizzard ok!  In my neck of the woods, we live on what is often the snow/ice/rain line. This time around we got ice.  Thankfully we didn't lose power, but, I'm seriously going to get my grandmother's treadle machine in working order in case I need to sew when the power is out!

Last week my sweet hubby loaded up my mother's old Singer and my old Singer machines and took them to the local sew and vac store to have them serviced.  I have had Mama's machine since her death in 2012, but it was not in working condition.

I love this machine!!!!!



You may ask why I titled this post "My Dream Weekend".  Its because I love to be snowed in and one of my happiest times is to be home for three days, doing what ever I want.  This of course includes lots of sewing!


I looked up this machine on line to try to date it and it is either from 1971 or 1973.  This one was originally in a home economics classroom.  I posted a picture of it on a facebook group I'm a member of, and several people said they had the same machine and that it has a classroom history.


It also has the reputation of being a "work horse".  I'm going to try free motion quilting on it.  That is if I an figure out how to drop the feed dogs, if that is even possible!


This is a partial log cabin quilt block I made using the leaders and enders system.  This will be part of a twin size boy's quilt for one of my grandsons.  I went through all my scraps to pull these kinds of fabrics for it.  Red, White and Blue, with a few boy type novelty fabrics mixed in.


I made much progress on the Sun Bonnett Sue quilt.  This picture shows the blocks laid out, before they were stitched together.


I love snow days.  Where I live, I can usually count on having at least one a year!

4 comments:

Denise said...

I love that you are using your mom's sewing machine and have your grandmother's as well.....my mom currently has her mother's machine and her old machine and I have my great grandmother's treadle machine one day they will all be here, that will be four generations when you add my machines! You should be able to find the manual online for your mom's sewing machine, I was able to find one for my treadle. Take care!

Terri said...

Some of those older machines are so much better than the newer, fancy ones. I still remember the treadle machine my mother had. I believe it had belonged to my grandmother and she made many of my outfits on it. Glad you had a weekend of sewing.

Little Penpen said...

Your mom's machine is beautiful. I hope you enjoy many many years of sewing on it. I am loving the Sunbonnet Sue quilt. Sadly, I spent my three day 'snow' weekend sleeping. I needed to catch up, but I hate wasting all that time. I can't even get to my sewing machine right now... I'm in a funk, can you tell? LOL

Auntie M said...

Love the Sunbonnet Sue squares, Debbie.

I have my 1962 Singer slant-o-matic. Had it serviced this past fall and the gentleman who serviced it said that none are made like it these days, and that I should use it and protect it. It sews "like a sewing machine"!!!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...