Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Crock Pot Cooking with Fresh Veggies


I love to cook using my slow cooker, but my slow cooker cooks too hot and fast to trust on its own for a whole day while at work. But, it does great if I'm only away from home for a few hours. So using the slow cooker on Sunday mornings is perfect.

Summer time is also a good time to use a slow cooker because it doesn't heat up the house like an oven would.

This past Sunday Morning I made Beef Stew in the slow cooker. It turned out great! I used some of our ripe tomatoes, potatoes, onions, carrots, a small package of stew beef and a few spices.

Tomatoes are plentiful right now, thanks to my hubby's unceasing effort to keep them watered all summer.

They are in buckets:



On Tables:



Pretty Tomatoes:



Ugly Heirloom Tomatoes:



All shapes and sizes!



Want some?

5 comments:

Granny said...

I love using my crockpots. I have three different sizes. I find as you do that they cook too fast to leave them on all day.

The tomatoes look great. Even though heirloom tomatoes don't look as pretty as the others I love the flavor.

Rita said...

To bad I live in Indiana I sure would like to have some of your tomatoes. And your stew....looks so good. I have been eating out way to much lately and you are inspiring me to cook at home again. The heat is so tiring it just seems to go on and on without a cool day for a break. Today I need to work at school which is a cement block building with no air. I think I'll put some food in the crock pot and see how that tastes this evening. Hoping for cooler days ahead. :)

Auntie M said...

Beautiful pictues of tomatoes. It matters not the shape of the heirlooms. You two are to be commended.

Rhonda said...

thank you, of course I want some!

enjoy your harvest.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

What a nice supply of tomatoes you have! My tomatoes are just starting to ripen.

I need to remember to use my slow cooker more often. Your stew sounds good.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...