Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer Time Eating - Good and Frugal

Food in the summer time is so good! And easy on the pocketbook too.

A delicious summer time meal was these grilled pork chops, corn on the cob and squash. The corn was given to us, the pork chops were on sale and marked down (still had 3 days on the expiration sticker) and the squash were grown in our garden. Total cost of the meal, enough for 3 or 4 was about $4.00.



The jars of pickles are adding up, one small batch at a time:



The makings for BLTs:



Freshly dug potatoes sizzling in a pan:



These cucumbers and squash are washed and waiting to be eaten. I like to peel and slice a couple of cucumbers, place them in a small, shallow dish with a little vinegar. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top and you've got a delicious fresh vegetable to snack on while cooking your meal.



Now is the time to take advantage of all those fresh veggies and fruits, while they are available. Between what we grow and what we are given, we usually can't even eat it all.

What's your favorite summer food?

7 comments:

Rita said...

Debbie, I love this post! What a good reminder to use what we have. The food you are preparing simple, and so enjoyable. I go to the outdoor market on Saturday morning. I get just what we will use in a week. The melon was so good this week it would melt in my mouth. Yum.

Auntie M said...

You make me hungry!!!!!

My favorite? I just love it all.

Little Penpen said...

I love all the fresh summer veggies, too. Our garden hasn't done much this year, as we haven't been there to care for it. I have picked about 6 squash from it, and that's about it. We have decided to make a raised bed garden near the back door for next year. :o)

Denise said...

I can't help but be a little jealous that you are so far ahead with eating fresh veggies from the garden, we still have at least a good month before we have "native Maine" corn, cukes should be within the month and not sure about tomatoes, I have some but they are very small. Enjoy your wonderful fresh meals!

Rhonda said...

That all looks good - thanks for sharing the photos! I enjoy salads, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers similar to what you fixed and sauted squash. :) Oh yeah, and of course corn-on-the-cob!

Impera Magna said...

All I need are directions and I'll be there for dinner tomorrow!

;)


I love summer meals like this... nothing better!

L said...

It all looks so good, Debbie. Love your frugal posts! :)

I do the same with cuke slices except I add a little Vidalia onion and add a little bit of sugar if the vinegar I use is strong. We could eat this almost every day I think.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...